[Wsssc] Student Services Weekly Update 3/1/2024

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Fri Mar 1 15:51:02 PST 2024

Welcome to March, WSSSC.

It was wonderful to see 21 institutions represented at our Thursday’s hot topic sessions. During our discussions we addressed timely FAFSA updates, which are becoming increasingly critical for institutions to be aware and engaged in. While these meetings are optional, they are becoming more vital for decision-making, institutional information sharing, and planning. Attendance is strongly encouraged over the next few months to ensure that everyone is well-informed and informing their leaders and staff of changes that are occurring quickly. Thank you once again to those who are regular participants and contributors, and please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or require further clarification.

ALL THINGS FAFSA

Two new FAFSA FAQ’s: Coming soon includes two new tools (1 for students, 1 for faculty/staff) for institutions to use and edit to their unique populations, created by SBCTC for our colleges.

FAFSA Position Paper and Pivoted Action Plan: Our WSSSC lead team, comprised of FAC, SBCTC IT & Student Services and Bus/Ops, has been diligently working on developing a comprehensive position paper and action plan outlining our system's approach to FAFSA simplification. This audience-focused document, tailored for the WACTC audience, will guide our strategy moving forward. We anticipate releasing the position paper at the end of next week, followed by the pivoted action plan with recommendations the following week. Special recognition goes to Karl Smith and Kristia Francis for co-leading this effort, along with Yokiko Hayashi-Saguil, Michele Waltz, Claire Peinado, Rob Cox, Chancel Fields, James Flowers, Melanie Ruiz, Teresa Robinson-Duane, Darcy Kipnis, Dani Bundy, Ana Ybarra, and Sherry Nelson.

Learning and Compliance: SBCTC has been actively engaging to interpret board, state, and federal regulation requirements, deepening the understanding of implications for our system and institutions with the new FAFSA. These requirements are multi-faceted, complex, and ever evolving. In addition to all the work occurring in IT, three additional areas were focused on by SBCTC this week: census dates, drop dates and payment plans, as well as FTI Data Privacy. These are further described below.

Census Date: A great question was asked by a college regarding delaying the summer/fall census dates. After careful consideration, SBCTC concluded that while the census date can technically be amended by state board policy, changing it carries significant implications for faculty contracts, data management, and student aid eligibility in the near term. Therefore, we do not see changing the census date as an ideal option.

Drop Dates and Payment Plans: A question was also posed about drop dates and payment plans, should aid be delayed. In general, institutions have flexibility in how they format their payment plans. However, there are complications related to refund amounts because refund rates and dates are encoded in RCW. AAGs are coordinating to provide further guidance to institutions, institutions should confer with their local AAG on these topics.

FTI Data Privacy Update: Finally, the federal guidelines for the handling of Federal Tax Information (FTI) data for FAFSA processing is governed by the CtcLink Data Usage and Privacy Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and policies established in 2021, in collaboration with the Assistant Attorney General (AAG). SBCTC serves as the system administrator for financial aid processing across colleges but does not access or share FTI data beyond its role in supporting the colleges with the system. FTI data is categorized as highly sensitive (OCIO Category 4) and is restricted to authorized staff for financial aid awarding purposes, with no inclusion in the Data Warehouse. The AAG has confirmed SBCTC's authority to access and administer FTI data on behalf of the colleges. While SBCTC possesses FTI as the system administrator, it cannot share this data with WSAC due to entity distinctions. Previously, colleges submitted FTI-type information to WSAC via reporting tools and Unit Record Reports (URR) for state aid processing. However, with the new FAFSA requirements, WSAC faces challenges in its traditional processes, prompting ongoing efforts to seek clarification from the U.S. Department of Education (ED) regarding permissible activities. We will continue to work with WSAC and within SBCTC to provide further clarity on this development.

Please note that the FAFSA updates provided above are highlights of the activity taking place over the past few weeks. Many more efforts are underway, and we are committed to keeping you updated as we progress.

WACTC Updates
Ed Services: Held on Thursday, February 29, and attended by WSSSC President Claire Peinado. Committee agenda topics included a review and submissions of Commission workplans. Updates were provided on Guided Pathway/GPAC updates; the student success RFP taskforce; worker retaining funding model; and running start and residency. WSSSC, IC, RPC, and IT each reported out on behalf of their commission. Claire provided an update on the FAFSA position paper; the commissions workplan; and working with our councils. Finally, other topics discussed included Tribal affiliation on the admissions application; Competency Based Degrees; and Artificial Intelligence. Thank you to President Claire for her leadership for this monthly meeting.

Technology Committee: The attached update slides were shared with the WACTC Technology Committee and during the WACTC Presidents business meeting Friday. Topics includes Financial Aid RFP; Financial Aid; ; Federal FAFSA Simplification; Fraudulent Account/Applications and more. Much of the work being done is to make clear and stream56line governance work and ctcLink improvement and enhancement request prioritization. The observation is that this work will continue to push us forward to common business practices and finding common ways for various ctc transactions.

2024 Legislative Session
We have less than 5 days for the remainder of the 2024 legislative session and hope to provide timely updates as bills die or are signed by the Governor. Student Service bills that look to be progressing include HB 2112<https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bill%20Reports/Senate/2112-S2%20SBR%20WM%20OC%2024.pdf?q=20240301104009>, the opioid education bill; HB 2214<https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bill%20Reports/Senate/2214-S2%20SBR%20APS%2024.pdf?q=20240301104055> Permitting beneficiaries of public assistance programs to automatically qualify as income-eligible for the purpose of receiving the Washington college grant; and SB 5670<https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bill%20Reports/Senate/5670-S2.E%20SBR%20FBR%2024.pdf?q=20240301104148>, Permitting 10th grade students to participate in running start in online settings. Each of these have moved to the Governor and we will know next week.

We also want to thank folks for their communication to their President’s for the 2025 legislative survey, which is due March 8.

Of note, at the WACTC Business meeting on Friday we had a visit from Senator Hansen, who provided a few key legislative insights to the Presidents. Most notably, Hansen emphasized the need to show concrete outcomes and clear metrics for state legislative investments. He provided the positive examples from the HB 1835 financial aid outreach pilot which is anticipated to lead to expanded investment in ESD 113 Capital Region. Another positive example highlighted included the Bellevue computer science program for student completions, earnings, and employment data. During the visit, the high number of proviso’s and the budget and administrative burden was communicated to the Senator.  Hansen communicated the anticipated Guided Pathways study that will come later this year will be important, and mentioned the CUNY-ASAP planning grant that is of interest to representative Pollet, Slatter, Levitt and himself.

Questions from the field

Hazing Funding: The funding for 2SHB 1751 Hazing Prevention<https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/1751-S2.SL.pdf?q=20220607114703> is ongoing until or unless changes occur in the enacted budget, however there is no longer a proviso written in the appropriations act, therefore those funds are no longer isolated as separate allocation to colleges.  Colleges receive the funding as a part of their base allocation and must continue to meet the requirements of the bill.

Looking Ahead: Spring Commission and Council Dates

  *   ARC – April 17-19, hybrid at Spokane Falls Community College
  *   FAC - April 17-19 at Wenatchee Valley College
  *   CUSP - April 24-26 at South Puget Sound Community College
  *   ACC – April 26, hybrid at SBCTC
  *   VMSC – Watercooler meetings every Thursday at 11am
  *   MSSDC - May 8-10 at Skagit Valley College
  *   WSSSC – May 16-17 at Centralia College

Overview of the WSSSC Winter Commission Meeting

By request, below includes an overview of key topics and discussion from our winter commission meeting for liaisons to share updates as appropriate.

• Updates from AAG Bruce Marvin: Bruce Marvin provided ongoing updates on the changing legal landscape affecting student services, including anticipated changes around Title IX.

• Legislative Updates: The commission received a mid-point legislative update on bills such as Dual Credit/Running Start; Opioid and Fentanyl education and prevention; expanded financial aid bills; early registration for Veterans; Athletics name, image and likeness resources; and sexual violence prevention.  We also had a visit from Arlen who discussed the opportunity to engage in the 2025 legislative priority survey with members of WACTC.

• SS Work Plan: The commission spent significant time discussing the workplan, focusing on three key priority areas: the student success tool, financial aid, and professional development within and across the councils.

• Free Speech Case Study: The commission engaged in a Free Speech case study with guests from BAC. The discussion covered various aspects, including the role of institutions, civil discourse, psychological safety, and the dangers of censorship.

• Hot Topics Session: A vibrant hot topics session included diving deeper into financial implications concerns, Accessibility allocations, general communication needs, and legislative priorities.

• Council Report Outs: Financial Aid, Accessibility, ARC, ACC, Capital Budget, and more

• Updates from WACTC: WACTC President Tim Stokes provided updates, and there was vibrant discussion regarding student success tools and overall communication between the commission and WACTC.

• Capitol Tour and Meet and Greet: The meeting concluded with an optional tour of the Capital including a meet and greet with Representative Leavitt.

WSAC Emergency Contraceptive Vending Machines
All funds are now granted for the emergency contraceptive vending machine grant pool.  Since not all institutions asked for the full $10k, WSAC able to award to the following colleges: Bates Technical College, Cascadia College, Clover Park Technical College, Everett Community College, Highline College, Lake Washington Institute of Technology, Lower Columbia College, Olympic College, Pierce College - Fort Steilacoom, Pierce College - Puyallup, Renton Technical College, Spokane Falls Community College, Tacoma Community College, and Columbia Basin College. Congratulations to all.

Promising Practice Exchange – March 12, 1:00-2:30
Please join us for our upcoming Promising Practices Exchange on March 12, at 1:00 pm, via the required registration link<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpdOirpzIrHdU3mhNnI-dgf0hWAx6wQuzS>. This presentation is open system wide. This session is titled: Connections: Building and sustaining innovative partnerships with industry and community-based organizations to improve economic mobility for adult learners, and will showcase programs and partnerships at South Seattle College and Tacoma Community College. Each program will share highlights from their respective partnerships aimed at adult learners. South Seattle College’s Multi-Occupation in Engineering and Technology (MOET) AAS-T is an accelerated degree that incorporates use of academic credit for prior learning. Tacoma Community College has cultivated partnerships with community-based organizations to engage with and supporting the unique needs and concerns of adult learners. Register here<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpdOirpzIrHdU3mhNnI-dgf0hWAx6wQuzS> for the link to the live presentation. A recording and transcript will be made available after.

Increasing Access to the UW Medical School

The UW is working to make medical school more accessible to all students and not just a secret passage for a select few. The Summer Health Professions Education Program ( SHPEP<mailto:https://www.shpep.org/school/university-of-washington/>) is another example of this work.

Get Inclusive

WSSSC Reps Bredon Taga (OC) and Connan Campbell (Spokane) will begin working with SBCTC to provide a commission update on the next phase of our WWU Get Inclusive Contract.

HearMeWa Updates

Refresher: this is the new AAG youth suicide, depression, anxiety, eating disorder prevention program introduced during the winter commission meeting by Rob Cox.

The 2023 HearMeWA Annual Report has been posted on our website here<https://agportal-s3bucket.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/uploadedfiles/2023%20HearMeWA%20Annual%20Report.pdf?VersionId=x_4pJDFkt6PBAV2nBmbAILoxoVyU5cV6>.  The AGO is working with our contractor Navigate360 and their subcontractor Sandy Hook Promise Crisis Center on the build out of the HearMeWA anonymous reporting system. The current timeline for program launch is a soft-launch April 19, 2024, with a full launch Aug 31, 2024.  During the soft-launch, the program will go live, and schools and other partners will be asked to promote the HearMeWA landing page to youth. The HearMeWA landing page will provide youth with information on how to submit a tip via mobile apps (both Google and Apple), a web-form, a text number, and a phone number. Youth will be connected with the Sandy Hook Promise Crisis Center when they contact.  HearMeWA. The Crisis Center will be vetting tips and using the triage process prescribed by the AGO. During the soft-launch we will be testing the process for communications relating to tip response, providing additional training to tip responders on use of the system, and piloting the use of the HearMeWA Best Practices Toolkit. Between now and the soft-launch, we will be working with schools to ensure they have access to the system and provide training on using the P3 Tip Manager for tip response via the point of contact each school building has provided. We will also be working with Regional Crisis Lines and local emergency dispatch to transfer tips when appropriate. The full-launch in August 2024 will include a press conference and paid media advertising to youth. We are working with our contractor, The Vida Agency, on developing HearMeWA branding, marketing, and website. We will also be providing a media toolkit that will include promotional and training materials on how to use HearMeWA as well as our full website, which will house the toolkit, training materials, information on our HearMeWA Advisory Committee, Youth Advisory Group, and ongoing program updates. When we get closer to the soft launch, we will communicate with you all about ways to promote the program in hopes you can help us reach a broad audience. For questions, contact the AGO Youth Program Team at youthprogram at atg.wa.gov<mailto:youthprogram at atg.wa.gov>

WA Secretary of State - WA State Productivity Board Rewarding Employee Suggestions

Attached includes a presentation the SBCTC received from the Washington State Secretary of State Productivity Board. The purpose of the productive board is threefold:

Encourage and reward meritorious suggestions by state employees with cash awards.

  *   Promote efficiency and economy in state government.
  *   Provide a fair and consistent process for reviewing state employees’ suggestions.
  *   Should you have additional interest, Greg Mennegar from the Secretary’s office is available for questions.

This is a summary of updates and communications asked to be provided to this group of leaders. As always, please let me know if I may support answers to questions or a referral for additional information.  Hang in their folks, we see and appreciate all the effort and leadership you are putting forth!

Have a great weekend!

[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu• o: 360-704-4334 •
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>

SBCTC Vision:

“Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”