[Wsssc] FAFSA Simplification: update and insights, April 22, 2024

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Mon Apr 22 18:51:42 PDT 2024

Dear WSSSC,

Sharing the below and attached important FAFSA updates that were shared by Executive Director Paul Francis to WACTC earlier today. I hope to solicit any thoughts or questions at WSSSC Thursday morning hot topics session prior to the WACTC Ed Services and business meeting on Thursday and Friday.

Amid the ongoing challenges facing the Department of Education regarding FAFSA simplification, I want to provide you with some additional insights.

The State Board teams have been diligently assessing strategies to support our students and staff.  One proposal we believe to be of benefit, and about which we consulted the Financial Aid Council (FAC) last week, is for financial aid administrators to initiate awarding in ctcLink now for both continuing and new students for the 24-25 academic year, using the current Student Aid Index (SAI) provided by the Department of Education. See attached document: Financial Aid Processing Recommendations and Guidance for 2024-2025.

While it's acknowledged discrepancies in aid calculation may require adjustments to these awards in the future, beginning the awarding process now affords financial aid staff more time to package financial aid and offer awards.

The SBCTC ctcLink Support team is continuing to apply Oracle code fixes and test the system; however, the fluid nature of changes to ISIRs by the Department of Education means that even if the system were fully prepared, subsequent adjustments would still be necessary.

Additionally, we want to highlight the importance of adhering to the census date requirements, as it directly impacts FTE calculations and other associated matters.

However, there exists local flexibility within your institutions to support staff and student enrollments for the 24-25 academic year.

Please refer to the attached document, Census Date Requirements and Local Flexibility, for details on regulatory considerations, policy guidelines, and areas where local flexibility is applicable for your students.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions. I look forward to further discussion during WACTC this week. Thank you.

Paul

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Paul Francis
Executive Director
pfrancis at sbctc.edu<mailto:pfrancis at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4355
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>

SBCTC Vision - “Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”