[Wsssc] Feedback Requested: Cohort Model for Benefits Navigators

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Mon Aug 21 08:27:01 PDT 2023

Good morning,

We hope your summer is treating you well and you are finding plenty of time to enjoy the sunshine and warmth. We are reaching out to you to both provide valuable resources and to request your input on the ongoing development of a cohort design model tailored for the Benefits Navigators initiative.

Below includes relevant SBCTC resource webpages

  *   Basic Needs Act Information Page<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-services/basic-needs/>
  *   2023-24 Benefits Navigator and Strategic Campus Plan<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-services/basic-needs/benefits-navigator-strategic-campus-plan-guidance>
  *   Free/Reduced-Price Meal Pilot Program<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-services/basic-needs/free-reduced-meals>

Cohort Design Model:

As outlined in the Basic Needs Act: Benefits Navigator and Campus Strategic Plans Guidance, we at SBCTC are eager to foster the Benefits Navigator Design Model through a comprehensive state-wide Benefits Navigator Cohort. While you are actively preparing for the recruitment of Benefits Navigators, we have been collaboratively working with our partners at United Way of King County to conceptualize various components of this cohort. The goal is to establish a framework that provides technical guidance, facilitates the exchange of effective practices, and streamlines resource navigation. Ultimately, this support structure aims to enhance both equitable access and the overall academic success of students.

We value your insights on the following cohort design:

  1.  Navigator Onboarding (Fall Quarter 23): This phase involves training for Benefits Navigators. The proposed training topics encompass areas like legislation overview, student basic needs history, intake procedures, motivational interviewing, accessing public benefits, effective outreach, promoting racial equity, forging partnerships, and more.
  2.  Best Practices Dissemination (ongoing): Through the Canvas Community platform, we plan to foster an ongoing exchange of best practices in navigation, benefits access, centralization, and emerging research.
  3.  Material Dissemination (ongoing): Our intention is to share universal materials such as flyers, brochures, and pertinent information related to SNAP, Medical assistance, Childcare, Financial Aid Deadlines, Tax Information, Open Enrollment Health Care, WA College Grant, Opportunity Grant, Basic Food Employment & Training, and more.
  4.  Communications and Connections: We are committed to sustaining continuous communication, thereby facilitating the distribution of toolkits that support benefits access and outreach. We also aim to fortify collaboration with community resources, college support networks, and resource expansion efforts.
  5.  Quarterly Convening/Learning Community: To nurture a supportive community among Benefits Navigators, we will organize virtual gatherings. These sessions will provide updates, resources, continuous training and technical support, opportunities to discuss challenges, and share successful strategies.
  6.  Annual Event (late Spring/Early Summer): This virtual event will serve as a platform to reflect on the past year, share recommendations, discuss challenges, celebrate achievements, and gear up for the year ahead.

Contact List:

Furthermore, we kindly request your assistance in compiling a contact list for the Benefit Navigators by Friday, September 8. We acknowledge that not all colleges have filled this role yet. Therefore we have provided space in the contact information form for the designated supervisor of the Benefits Navigator. Your completion of this form would be greatly appreciated<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QGo3k3MUwiZ6JYv7l8fC3a9oEt-R6xQ-LYgw9drQ5pA/edit?usp=sharing>. If you encounter any issues accessing the Google Drive document, please do not hesitate to inform me.

Thank you for your continued patience and unwavering commitment as we navigate developing the Basic Needs Act together. Your input is invaluable to the success of this initiative.

Kindly,
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D9D408.8D372A90]Jennifer Dellinger
Policy Associate, Student Services
Student Support Programs
WA State Board for Community & Technical Colleges
jdellinger at sbctc.edu<mailto:jdellinger at sbctc.edu> / 360.704.4339

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."