[Wsssc] Follow-up to WSSSC Discussion of Student Medical Vaccination Exemption

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Fri Sep 10 15:21:24 PDT 2021

WSSSC: this is a follow-up to our discussion yesterday with our Deputy Directors, Choi Halladay and Carli Schiffner.

First, I want to reiterate that colleges will follow their own processes for handling student medical exemptions. I know there is a desire to be more systematic in our approach, but for now it is college-by-college. Thank you Brendon for sharing Olympic College's approach, which was developed in close coordination with OC's AAG. Here is the link Brendon shared yesterday, so you have it handy: Olympic College webpage<https://www.olympic.edu/about-olympic-college/covid-19-coronavirus-information/student-vaccination-verification>.

Second, we want to acknowledge the concerns brought to the meeting by Monica Olsson of SBCTC and Megan Jasurda of Clark, who is a member of the DSSC leadership team. DSS directors should not be asked to perform roles that are beyond their expertise, and colleges should be aware of the potential increased work burden on them in this area.

Attached is an updated Issue Brief from SBCTC that answers some of your questions from yesterday, for example how to deal with volunteers and visitors. One set of questions not addressed in the Issue Brief is how to treat dual credit students in College in the High School, and minor studeents.  CiHS students are not subject to college vaccination mandates if they are not coming onto campus, nor for that matter are Running Start students if they are not coming to campus. Minor students who are enrolled only at the college and not dually enrolled would likely be subject to the college's requirements.

Please let us know if you have remaining, unresolved questions or issues.

Joe

"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities."