[Wsssc] Black Student Accommodations Request

Matthew Campbell MCampbell at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Jun 10 17:15:44 PDT 2020

Can you say more about what types of accommodations? Here are two or three examples and I’m anxious to hear of others.

We have supported students in exercising their rights under the Faith & Conscience Leave policy which uses the term “accommodate” with regard to an expectation that faculty accommodate the leave and that it cannot have a negative impact on grades. Thus, if students need to take time to advance anti-racist work through engaging in personal and/or public activities, we supported that. In a message to faculty (I think we may be planning a more direct message to students), we stated,

“As we seek to advance our anti-racist work and support students in doing the same, some faculty have inquired about how to support and respond to students who have asked to disengage in class activities in order to engage in personal or public work to advance racial and social justice. We believe this fully falls within the Pierce College Policy on Accommodations for Faith/Conscience<https://www.pierce.ctc.edu/policy-faith-conscience>. This policy (WA law) requires faculty to provide accommodations such that grades are not impacted as students engage in actions prompted by their faith or conscience. We believe that the events of the last two weeks (prompted by centuries of racism and oppression) and opportunities for community and civic engagement demonstrate “exceptional and compelling circumstances”* for which students may choose to engage in acts of conscience.

The policy does not excuse students from completing necessary work, but does require that we accommodate absences and do not negatively impact grades. We encourage you to work with students but also ask that you encourage students who are in multiple classes to complete the process in order to provide consistency. That is, you can provide accommodation without the student completing the process, but the process affords institutional support for accommodations in all classes. Students can be directed to the site above or directly to the request form<https://www.pierce.ctc.edu/sites/default/files/2019/09/faith-conscience-policy-student-form-r1.docx>.”

*The phrase about “exceptional and compelling circumstances” negates our usual notification timeline (i.e. that the request is to be made in the first two weeks of the term).

In addition, we are also consolidating/curating mental health resources that provide and/or center therapists of color. These resources will be shared at student activities events (specifically around centering the voices and experiences of Black students specifically and students of color). They resources will also be linked through both our Black Lives Matter website and our Mental Health Resources website.

Not sure if those are the types of accommodation to which you are referring, but hopefully it is helpful.

Kind regards,
Matt

Matthew Campbell, Ed.D. (he/him/his)
Vice President, Learning & Student Success
Pierce College Puyallup