[Wsssc] FW: 1893 & 5800 Updates

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Wed Aug 28 09:26:27 PDT 2019

Colleagues: here are updates on funding opportunities for emergency assistance and homeless student assistance, from my colleague Erin Frasier at SBCTC.  Joe

HB 1893

Sect. 1 - Emergency Assistance Grants:

*  The legislation requires us to begin accepting applications from colleges by Dec. 1, 2019. We are scheduled to release the grant applications on Sept. 12th and will finalize the competitive grant process by Nov. 18th.

*  We have $750,000 for FY20 and another $750,000 for FY21. We will be releasing $738,000 in allocations to the colleges each year ($12,000 is for our admin. costs).

*  As soon as we have finalized the eligibility criteria, I will release a notice to the system to ensure they have more time to prepare to apply.

SB 5800

Supporting Homeless College Student Pilots

*  We have $200,000 for FY20 and $348,000 for FY21. We will be allocating funds to the colleges and have $187,000 for FY20 and $335,000 for FY21 (after $13,000 for admin. costs).

*  The legislation does not identify a deadline for accepting applications from colleges. We are scheduled to release the applications on Sept. 12th and will complete the competitive grant process by Nov. 18th. We will have colleges selected in time to update the legislature of proposed projects before the next legislative session (as discussed with Arlen).

*  COP has selected Western and Eastern Universities to participate in the pilots.

*  We are working closely with WSAC to ensure alignment of expectations and reporting. We will also be co-facilitating a learning community for both the 4 and 2-year colleges.

*  We are also to invite colleges not selected to participate in the pilots to participate voluntarily and to submit data to assist in establishing a better understanding of student needs and services provided. The fact that 29 of our colleges signed up for the RealCollege survey will greatly support this effort.

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]Erin Frasier, Ed.D.
Policy Associate, Workforce Education
1300 Quince Street SE | PO Box 42495 | Olympia, WA 98504-2495
P: (360) 704-4339     E: efrasier at sbctc.edu<mailto:efrasier at sbctc.edu>