[Wsssc] Fwd: SB 6514 Work Group request: Pls forward this letter to all constituents

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:09:52 PDT 2018

I will be discussing this today (see below and attached).

Joe Holliday

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marny Lombard <lombardm at uw.edu<mailto:lombardm at uw.edu>>
Date: July 10, 2018 at 11:52:41 AM PDT
To: Joe Holliday <jholliday at sbctc.edu<mailto:jholliday at sbctc.edu>>, Cody Eccles <ceccles at cop.wsu.edu<mailto:ceccles at cop.wsu.edu>>, "jim.parker at wtb.wa.gov<mailto:jim.parker at wtb.wa.gov>" <jim.parker at wtb.wa.gov<mailto:jim.parker at wtb.wa.gov>>, "scolard at dol.wa.gov<mailto:scolard at dol.wa.gov>" <scolard at dol.wa.gov<mailto:scolard at dol.wa.gov>>, "maryann at nwcareercolleges.org<mailto:maryann at nwcareercolleges.org>" <maryann at nwcareercolleges.org<mailto:maryann at nwcareercolleges.org>>, Terri Standish-Kuon <terri at icwashington.org<mailto:terri at icwashington.org>>, Devon Crouch <devon at icwashington.org<mailto:devon at icwashington.org>>
Cc: Julie Garver <JGarver at cop.wsu.edu<mailto:JGarver at cop.wsu.edu>>, "marshall at pugetsound.edu<mailto:marshall at pugetsound.edu>" <marshall at pugetsound.edu<mailto:marshall at pugetsound.edu>>, "Bergeson, Mark (WSAC)" <MarkB at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:MarkB at wsac.wa.gov>>
Subject: SB 6514 Work Group request: Pls forward this letter to all constituents

Dear Colleagues:

Attached is a "heads-up" letter to inform all postsecondary institutions in Washington State of the

work under way in implementing Senate Bill 6514, which focuses on mental health, behavioral health and suicide prevention among our postsecondary students.

Please review this letter and let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or suggested edits.

This letter is intended to bring to all institutions' attention the content of S.B. 6514, including its three pillars:

  1.  Suicide Prevention in Higher Education Grant program for high-need institutions
  2.  Publicly available resource for optional use by all institutions
  3.  Data collection to develop a baseline on the prevalence of suicidal behavior and related metrics in postsecondary institutions

Additionally, it is intended to alert institutions to the tight timeframe they will face in preparing an application for the grant program. We hope that this will allow institutions a stronger opportunity to begin planning a grant application, if they so choose.

Once I have heard back from each of you, I will send to you a final copy of the letter, with a request that you distribute it to your institutions.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Marny Lombard

SB 6514 Higher Education Program Manager

Forefront Suicide Prevention

University of Washington