[Wsssc] Meeting Prep: Equity and System Policies/Practices

Matthew Campbell MCampbell at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:39:26 PST 2018

Good afternoon, all. As you may recall from our last meeting, we conveyed the the WACTC Strategic Visioning Committee is seeking guidance from the commissions on policies that should be reviewed with an equity lens. As you prepare for our commission meeting tomorrow, please reflect on two to three “system-level policies and/or practices” that we would prioritize as needing to be reviewed specifically from a perspective of equity. These are not necessarily institutional policies, nor do they need to be codified policies (though they can be). Instead, we should be thinking broadly about common practices and/or policies that may demonstrate institutional racism/oppression, thus creating barriers to student access and success within our system.

We will start the discussion of these during our session after lunch in order to craft a general list, then we will refer to the EDI committee for further refinement, then we revisit on Friday to confirm our recommendation back to Strategic Visioning. We are not sure, yet, how they will then carry the work forward ...more to come.

Thanks!
Matt

Matthew Campbell, Ed.D.
Vice President, Learning & Student Success
Pierce College Puyallup
p/  253.840.8419<tel:253.840.8419>
f/   253.840.8423<tel:253.840.8423>
e/  mcampbell at pierce.ctc.edu<mailto:mcampbell at pierce.ctc.edu>