[Wsssc] Food Insecurity Analysis from Young Invincibles

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Thu Feb 8 08:02:33 PST 2018

Colleagues: FYI, below.

From: McKibben, Bryce (HELP Committee) [mailto:Bryce_McKibben at help.senate.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 9:29 AM
To: 'Meotti, Michael (WSAC)' <MichaelM at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:MichaelM at wsac.wa.gov>>; PFrancis at cop.wsu.edu<mailto:PFrancis at cop.wsu.edu>; Jan Yoshiwara <jyoshiwara at sbctc.edu<mailto:jyoshiwara at sbctc.edu>>; Arlen Harris <aharris at sbctc.edu<mailto:aharris at sbctc.edu>>; Jon Kerr <jkerr at sbctc.edu<mailto:jkerr at sbctc.edu>>; Papadakis, Eleni <epapadakis at wtb.wa.gov<mailto:epapadakis at wtb.wa.gov>>; 'rachelles at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:rachelles at wsac.wa.gov>' <rachelles at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:rachelles at wsac.wa.gov>>; 'beckyt at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:beckyt at wsac.wa.gov>' <beckyt at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:beckyt at wsac.wa.gov>>
Cc: Contreras, Manuel (HELP Committee) <Manuel_Contreras at help.senate.gov<mailto:Manuel_Contreras at help.senate.gov>>; Barry, Mary Nguyen (HELP Committee) <Mary_Barry at help.senate.gov<mailto:Mary_Barry at help.senate.gov>>; McClelland, Katherine (HELP Committee) <Katherine_McClelland at help.senate.gov<mailto:Katherine_McClelland at help.senate.gov>>; Smith, Jason (Murray) <Jason_Smith at murray.senate.gov<mailto:Jason_Smith at murray.senate.gov>>
Subject: Food insecurity at WA colleges

Hi folks,

I just wanted to send along a report you might find interesting. The Young Invincibles just put out a great analysis<http://younginvincibles.org/reports-briefs/rethinking-snap-benefits-college-students-food-insecurity/> this week (linked and attached) on food insecurity that estimates of how many students in higher education could potentially benefit from greater food assistance at the state and federal levels.

They estimate that up to 79% of Washington State students who qualify for SNAP are missing out on a combined $75 million in support each year. This translates to about 50,000 otherwise-eligible students statewide missing out on SNAP annually in WA.

In addition to data, the report includes some federal, state, and institutional recommendations. They have a section going into their methodology in greater detail. I have also sent this to Linnea Todd with the Washington Financial Aid Association to share with their Executive Council. However as I understand it in many cases the role of connecting students with benefits is not exclusively in the financial aid office-but may be a mix of registrars, WorkSource, advising offices, student affairs, and others.

Do you think this is something your contacts or member institutions would be interested in seeing? We certainly hope so!

Best,
Bryce

Bryce McKibben
Senior Policy Advisor
Senate HELP Committee
Ranking Member Patty Murray
(202) 224-5501

[Joe]
Joe Holliday
Director of Student Services

[SBCTC_Anniversary Logo_WhtGold_Round3OUT_v1_MC]

1300 Quince Street SE, PO Box 42495
Olympia, Washington  98504-2495