[Wsssc] Homeless Students

Blakeney, Erin eblakeney at cascadia.edu
Thu Mar 23 11:43:00 PDT 2017

Hi Joe,
Similar to what Dave mentioned, we worked to develop a list of resources for our students who are dealing with homelessness & food insecurity.

I partnered with a couple instructors/classes last year to do a campaign about homelessness & we did a hygiene kit drive and created about 100 kits that we have available for students who need toiletry items - and our diversity center, workforce education, veterans office, and advisors have them in their offices for students.

We have partnered with our local YMCA - they have a food stability program and they provide us with small food packs on a regular basis that we can give to students.

We also identified a staff member (who is also part of our CARE team) to serve as a primary point of contact for those students who have been identified as needing homeless/food insecurity resources.

There is a lot more we could/should be doing - so I am interested to hear what others have in place.

Thanks!

Erin Blakeney
Dean for Student Success Services
eblakeney at cascadia.edu<mailto:eblakeney at cascadia.edu>  |  425.352.8534  |  www.cascadia.edu<http://www.cascadia.edu/>