[Wctcca] State Board Meeting : Possible Agenda Item - Mental Health on Community & Technical College Campus's

Hoaglin, Sarah shoaglin at rtc.edu
Thu Oct 19 10:48:01 PDT 2023

Dear Colleagues,

We were informed yesterday that the forthcoming State Board meeting may include an agenda item or a statement addressing the introduction of telehealth services to support mental health counselors on our campus. This initiative is proposed either as an extension of the existing SB 5513 (Mental Health Counseling and Services Pilot Program) or as part of a revised iteration of the previously attempted SB 5194. We have reviewed the agenda items and have not found a specific listing, leading us to believe that this topic may be addressed during public comments.

The Washington Achievement Counsel (WSAC) is seeking $2 million in funding from the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) to launch and pilot telehealth services on Washington Community and Technical College (CTC) campuses. We are aware that Karen Strickland, President of the Washington Chapter of the American Federation of Teachers Union (WA-AFT), has expressed opposition to the implementation of these services. We tried to engage in a conversation with Ms. Strickland yesterday to discuss her perspective and insights but were unable to secure a meeting at that time.

You can watch the State Board meeting via the following link: State Board Meeting | SBCTC<https://www.sbctc.edu/about/board/meetings>

For those interested in providing a public comment during the meeting, there is an opportunity on October 19th between 9:10 AM and 9:20 AM, accessible through the following link: State Board Meeting | SBCTC<https://www.sbctc.edu/about/board/meetings>

To the best of our knowledge, the Washington Community and Technical College Counselors Association (WCTCCA) Executive Team and Steering Committee have not been formally approached or requested to provide input on this matter. If you believe it is essential for us to issue a statement, we encourage you to respond to this email with your perspectives and insights. Your input is highly valued, and we are keen to hear your thoughts. Please do not hesitate to reach out with your feedback.

If this information is entirely new to you, we encourage you to peruse the provided links for further details, or alternatively, do not hesitate to reach out to one of the Executive Team Members via email. We would be more than willing to engage in a discussion with you on this matter.

LINK: Mental Health Counseling and Services Pilot Program | SBCTC<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/grants/mental-health-counseling-and-services-pilot-program>
Dual credit, financial support, Career Connect bills heard as session ends third week | SBCTC<https://www.sbctc.edu/blogs/legislative-news/2023/2022-01-27>

EXECUTIVE TEAM MEMBERS:

  *   Jen Houge: President:  wctccapres at gmail.com<mailto:wctccapres at gmail.com>
  *   Sarah Hoaglin: Vice President: shoaglin at rtc.edu<mailto:shoaglin at rtc.edu>
  *   Kristi Leksen: Secretary: kleksen at everettcc.edu<mailto:kleksen at everettcc.edu>
  *   Matthew Cullen: Technology Officer: mcullen at greenriver.edu<mailto:mcullen at greenriver.edu>
  *   OPEN POSITION: Treasurer: Get involved at www.wctcca.org<http://www.wctcca.org/>

Your understanding and input are crucial to this matter, and we welcome your engagement and questions. Thank you for your continued support.

Thanks,
Sarah

'To be radical is not to disrupt but rather to reimagine'

Sarah Hoaglin, LMFT (she/her)
Behavioral Health/Academic Counselor
Student Services
425-235-6635
shoaglin at rtc.edu<mailto:shoaglin at rtc.edu> | rtc.edu/behavioral-health<https://www.rtc.edu/>
3000 NE 4thSt., Renton WA 98056
Students Succeed at RTC.

           REFER A STUDENT FOR BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES HERE<https://rtc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3jWrPnCnPUgPU1v>
           If you or someone you know is in crisis, please call the 24-Hour Crisis Clinic hotline: 866-427-4747.
           TTY: 206-461-3610

     To schedule CURRENT STUDENT ADVISING: Student Success Center (office365.com)<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/RTCStudentSuccessCenter@rtc.ctc.edu/bookings/>

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it.