[Wctcca] Elevating Minoritized Training Experiences: A request for research interview and survey dissemination

Rowland, Bevyn BRowland at clark.edu
Wed May 3 16:10:33 PDT 2023

Dear Esteemed WCTCCA members,

I deeply respect you, your time and the work you do.This email should take less than 5 minutes to read; my humble ask is that you read, consider sharing the invitation, consider taking the survey(s) yourself. Each survey takes 15-45 minutes depending on the depth of answers given by participants.
I'm thrilled to be on research sabbatical until July 2023 in my position at Clark College Counseling and Health Services. During this time, I am researching the training experiences of minortized mental health (MH) trainees to elevate the hard-won wisdom from their lived histories in the field.  My goal is to elevate these experiences in order to meaningfully support BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+, and Disabled trainees/early career therapists in our slowly diversifying professions, and interrupt the opportunity gaps these practitioners face.

I am also meeting with training directors and seasoned supervisors to candidly explore what has worked well and hasn't, in terms of supporting multiply marginalized trainees. Collecting these data has proved more challenging that I had originally expected for a particular reason: People are scared. They are scared of institutional and interpersonal backlash in telling their stories. Both trainees and trainers alike are caught in this (understandable) toxic fear that freezes the honesty/vulnerability required to creatively evolve our training environments and practices.

Here's where I am humbly asking for your help:

1) Please disseminate my survey to licensed & unlicensed MH practitioners in your sphere (PDF and JPGs attached with QR code to share on social media, email, etc.). If you completed your own training in MH before 2010, please consider filling it out yourself. https://forms.gle/UccKupseQCnPKivk7

2) If you, as a MH supervisor/training director/program director (or someone you know in such a role) would be willing to share information with me, either via anonymous web form or in a structured conversation, please let me know or fill out the anonymous survey here: https://forms.gle/uP4rtpd1FjLT2oeE7

Participants have the opportunity to direct a $20 donation to a helping organization;  if you complete both surveys, you will be able to designate 2 donations, if you wish.

My goal for data collection completion is rapidly approaching. Please contact me directly with questions/concerns that inform your willingness to help disseminate this survey.

In Gratitude and Solidarity,

-bkr
"The times are urgent. Let us slow down." -Bayo Akomolafe

Dr. Bevyn Rowland (Crisis Resources at bottom of signature)
Clark College Counseling and Health Center
http://www.clark.edu/campus-life/student-support/counseling/index.php
Licensed Psychologist, Faculty Counselor & Professor
Clincial Training Director
Queer Employee Resource Group Facilitator

Email: BRowland at clark.edu<mailto:BRowland at clark.edu>
Call or Text me: (360) 992-2804 (Do NOT use for emergencies. I only listen to/read these messages during my office hours which vary. For immediate assistance and/or for scheduling, please contact the APPOINTMENTS Desk below).

APPOINTMENTS (make/change/cancel): Please call or text the CHC Front Desk at 360-992-2614 or CHC at clark.edu<mailto:CHC at clark.edu>

If you need to talk with someone more immediately, please use one of the following Crisis Resources:

National Crisis Line<https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/>: 800-273-8255
Text Crisis Line<https://www.crisistextline.org/>: Text HOME to 741741
Trans Lifeline<https://translifeline.org/hotline>: 877-565-8860 (Spanish and English)
Racial Equity Support<https://www.linesforlife.org/racial-equity-support-line/> Line (for BIPoC folx): 503-575-3764

**If you are calling these lines to have a crisis team come out and assess a person, please know that they MAY bring the police with them. This has disparate and sometimes dangerous impact on folx with non-dominant identities.

*****Please note that email is not a secure form of communication. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and contact me ASAP. FOR MY CLIENTS: Please use email only to coordinate scheduling. If you send me messages beyond that scope, they become part of your medical record.