[Wctcca] WCTCCA Spring Conference

Devon Klein DKlein at greenriver.edu
Thu Apr 9 16:22:27 PDT 2020

Dear esteemed colleagues,

It is with a heavy heart that I bring you news from your steering committee. As you may have already guessed, we will be cancelling this year's WCTCCA spring conference at Rainbow Lodge scheduled for May 14th and 15th. Even though the stay at home order from Inslee may be lifted by then, there are still long-lasting impacts of the pandemic already accumulating which will impact all of our abilities to complete our basic job functions securely, ethically and sustainably. Our top priority is you, the membership. If you do not keep safe, sane and healthy; how will you serve the students who look to you for support?

So, if you have already registered for this year, please let our treasurer know if you'd like a reimbursement (when she returns to the office at the end of the quarter) or if you'd prefer to put your payment towards next year. She can be reached at gkoepping at highline.edu.

Please mark your calendars now for next year's dates: May 20 and 21, 2021! It will be even more sweet to get to see all of your beautiful faces then after such an absence. One item of business that is normally handled at the conference is election of new officers and we are due to replace both our secretary and treasurer. If you are interested in either of these positions, please let me know! We'd love to set you up with a shadowing/transition period with either Jennifer or Gloria. These two heroes of the organization have agreed to stay on another year, if needed; so please show them some love for their service!

In the meantime, I truly believe that we are stronger together, so let's continue helping each other out! One suggestion for how to do this is to create a clearinghouse through our website for resource sharing. Some of you may recall that we shared useful forms and practices at an open house held at the student services conference a few years ago, this would be a more comprehensive version of that. So, if you're willing, please send your department's forms and any policies or practices to our technology master Kristi at kleksen at everettcc.edu. It's our hope to launch this offering by fall.

Last but not least, I have seen and appreciated the reaching out and sharing of ideas and resources that has transpired on this list serve recently. We are all figuring this dramatic transition out one phase at a time and so there are no right or wrong answers for each new question. I have been fighting the urge to assemble and send to you a "best practices" guide, but the more I grapple with that, the more impossible I realize it is. All of our campuses are unique and we are the content experts on our own student's needs. Please trust yourself with that and allow any setbacks along the way to be growth opportunities; just as we'd encourage students to do. I am proud of every one of you and please do keep using this space as a resource.

Yours in health, service and gratitude,

Devon Klein, MA, LMHC

She/Her/Hers Pronouns

GRC Faculty Counselor

WCTCCA Chair

253 833 9111, Ext 4492

 dklein at greenriver.edu

“Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open."          ~Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

Counseling Services Mission Statement

Counseling Services fosters student success and retention by teaching emotional coping techniques, informing and educating students on relevant health and wellness topics, and developing effective self-care skills for optimal lifelong psychological health.

*** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone at (253) 833-9111, ext. 4492, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk.