[Wctcca] Please join us for the upcoming 2020 Implicit Bias Workforce Training Institutes Cycle I and Cycle II

Kim Davis Kim.Davis at skagit.edu
Tue Dec 10 12:51:58 PST 2019

Greetings!

Please join us for the upcoming 2020 Implicit Bias Workforce Training Institutes Cycle I and Cycle II.

The purpose of the Implicit Bias Workforce Training Institutes are to provide a training platform for community and technical college workforce leaders, professional technical department chairs, faculty, staff, counselors, navigators, administrators, deans and registered apprenticeship programs in Washington State. The institutes will provide working tools and processes to help participants become campus and program advocates of efforts to identify and reduce the unconscious biases that hinder student and faculty success and enrich the overall campus climate. We recognize that bias is not just the random acts of the few misguided, but the result of our history which rank-orders the worth of individuals based on race, social class, gender, sexuality, ability, etc.

We are building four levels of training that will build upon each other, scaffolding up each cycle, a graduated scale of complexity. Based on the evaluative survey data received from both 2018-2019 Cycle I cohorts, we are introducing two new topic and bias elements to the institutes.  The expanded training topics will address (1) inclusive pedagogy in the classroom and lab; and (2) Implicit Bias in the workplace, contextualized to the community and technical college and apprenticeship environment. The expanded bias elements in Cycle II will also address (1) gender; and (2) LGBTQA+. Our foundational focus will remain on race for each Cycle.

Please see the attached flyers for registration information for the following institutes (light breakfast, lunch, and training materials provided):

WEST SIDE CYCLE I
Green River College,
Kent Station
February 26 & 27, 2020
Day 1 - 9:00 - 5:00, Wednesday
Day 2 - 9:00 - 2:00, Thursday
(Limited to 30 participants)
$150

Register Here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/implicit-bias-workforce-training-institute-cycle-i-west-tickets-74223966883>

EAST SIDE CYCLE I
Wenatchee Valley College

April 16 and 17, 2020
Day 1 - 9:00 - 5:00, Thursday
Day 2 - 9:00 - 2:00, Friday
(Limited to 30 participants)
 $150

Register Here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/implicit-bias-workforce-training-institute-cycle-i-east-tickets-77225400251>
CYCLE II
Highline College

May 12 and 13, 2020
Day 1 - 9:00 - 5:00, Tuesday
Day 2 - 9:00 - 2:00, Wednesday
(Pre-Req Cycle 1-Limited to 20 participants)
Prerequisite: Cycle I
 $175
Register Here<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/implicit-bias-workforce-training-institute-cycle-ii-west-tickets-77226202651>

On behalf of all three Centers of Excellence - Education, Construction and Marine,

Ann Avary, Director
Center of Excellence for Marine Manufacturing & Technology
Skagit Valley College

Jamie Wells, Director
Center of Excellence for Careers in Education
Green River College, Auburn Center

Construction Center of Excellence
Renton Technical College

Kim Davis
Project Manager
Center of Excellence for Marine Manufacturing & Technology
Skagit Valley College
Kim.Davis at Skagit.edu<mailto:Kim.Davis at Skagit.edu>

[cid:image003.png at 01D5A437.C6B38CF0]
Registration is open!<http://tradeempower.com/>
EmPower Women's Leadership Conference  <http://tradeempower.com/>
Washington's Premier Leadership Conference for Women in Trades Careers
March 8th and 9th, 2020 in Southwest Washington