[Wactclc-alma] Alma, EZproxy and ctclink auth

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Mar 31 15:34:23 PDT 2023

Our IT department is rolling out Okta a bit at a time.

We did have a blip where they forgot that they needed to keep LDAP authentication for Alma-Primo up and we had surprise one morning when no one could log into Alma-Primo.  I contacted IT right away and they reactivated Active Directory.

If our IT department can do this for us, yours can probably do this for you. :)

When we got ready to switch to EZProxy authentication via Okta, I contacted our IT dept. to ask them when they could fit working with OCLC Support to configure SAML authentication between EZPRoxy and Alma into their schedules.  (We have hosted EZProxy).

Once IT said they had time, I opened a ticket with OCLC Support and cc'ed our IT person who handles Okta so OCLC Support and our IT department could coordinate the configuration.

It took something like 3-4 weeks of configuration testing, but we were doing this for 4 different EZProxy servers.

Once the config testing was done with IT and OCLC Support, our IT staff added specific library staff as authorized users for the "EZProxy app" in Okta.

OCLC Support was able to switch us from LDAP authentication with Active Directory to SAML authentication with Okta within an hour.

After library personnel confirmed it worked, IT then added everyone as authorized users for the Okta app.

We did schedule the switch to Okta for early in the quarter when it would be less disruptive. We notified all the reference librarians and library staff on the day we switched and again once the switch was complete. A week or two before the switch we created step-by-step instructions for how to sign into Okta for the first time that we posted to the library websites & sent to all library personnel.

You'll want to have the library dean let the head of IT know that IT can't disable Active Directory authentication until they've enabled Okta authentication for EZProxy and for Alma-Primo.

Does this help?

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas (Hear my first name<namedrop.io/kirstithomas>)
Library Technical Services Manager & Systems Librarian
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu