[wactclc-alma] ALMA login URLs and security certificate update

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Jun 8 11:32:14 PDT 2023

Thanks for this Lily!

I had some vague memory that ADFS has something to do with local network accounts or something Microsoft related. I looked it up and Wikipedia says Active Directory Federations Services is "a software component developed by Microsoft, [that] can run on Windows Server operating systems to provide users with single sign-on access to systems and applications located across organizational boundaries."

So I'm with Lily that any of your URLs with "adfs" in them are probably left over from the way you were authenticating when you first migrated to Alma.

We had to make an emergency switch to SAML authentication for Alma & Primo 2 weeks ago when our LDAP server failed.

Luckily, I'd already been working with my IT person on the Okta configuration & we'd had a call with Ex Libris Support a few days before.

One of the things I remember from the call is that my IT person had to do some kind of Okta configuration behind the scenes to make sure the "employeeID" field was being passed between Okta and Alma. I don't know the exact details.

During the support call, the Ex Libris staff person noticed we were using an Alma URL from migration:
na02.alma.exlibrisgroup.com/mng/login?institute=01STATEWA_SEATTLE&auth=local

The Ex Libris support person told us to use this instead:

Internal user accounts: sbctc-seattlecolleges.alma.exlibrisgroup.com
External user accounts: sbctc-seattlecolleges.alma.exlibrisgroup.com/SAML

To the best of my knowledge, all Alma-Primo domain names are managed/registered by Ex Libris, not us.

We all have sbctc in the domain names because we're all under the same SBCTC contract. The Orbis-Cascade Alliance libraries all have "alliance" in their domain names because they're all under the same contract.

That said...

Okta authentication for Alma requires:
              * A SAML Integration profile in Alma
              * appending /SAML at the end of the normal Alma URL

Okta authentication for Primo requires:
              * A SAML Integration profile in Alma (that's different from the SAML integration profile for Alma)
              * activating an Authentication Profile that has the same code as the Integration profile (There's no change to the Primo URL)

Details from my notes below:

Settings are in 2 places:

1) Alma config > General > External Systems > Integration profiles
This page has all the behind-the scenes configuration for authentication

Profile 1: SAML Authentication for Alma only
this has Okta configuration settings & security certificate info
Had to fill this out together with IT staff
Important settings:
User ID location = User ID is an Attribute element
User ID attribute name = employeeID
Profile 2: SAML Primo
this has Okta configuration settings & security certificate info
Had to fill this out together with IT staff
Important settings:
User ID location = User ID is an Attribute element
User ID attribute name = employeeID

[cid:image006.png at 01D999FC.DE1819B0]

2) Alma config > Discovery > Authentication > User authentication
This page controls what options appear when someone clicks the Sign In button in Primo
This page has nothing to do with Alma authentication

Alma Primo will look for an Integration profile in Alma config > General > External Systems > Integration profiles that has the same *code* as the Authentication Profile to determine which profile(s) to use when someone clicks Sign In in Primo.
[cid:image005.png at 01D999FC.8A2E51C0]

One last note-- Library staff on shared circulation desk work stations have reported that when they try to log out of Alma, Okta logs them right back in. We're having to completely close browser windows whenever there's a shift change. I've also recommended that staff only use Private/Incognito browser windows when logging into Alma for now.

The IT person who manages Okta says he should be able to configure something that will allow us to log out of Alma and not get logged back in automatically. Something to mention to your IT folks whenever you implement Okta authentication for Alma-Primo.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas (Hear my first name<http://namedrop.io/kirstithomas>)
Library Technical Services Manager & Systems Librarian
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu