[Wactclc-alma] Analytics Conundrum

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Sep 23 11:52:25 PDT 2022

Melinda,

I run into the same thing. If I try to combine fields that count physical items together with a field from a Funds folder, the count of physical items turns up blank.  I have a vague idea why this is happening, but not enough to be able to explain.

There is a field under Fund Information > Fund Measures called “Num of Items Per Fund”

Using that field instead of “Num of Items (In Repository)”, seems to work, although the number is formatted like a price—22.00

[cid:image003.png at 01D8CF3C.18AF03E0]

I tossed in a field that counted barcodes to compare against the Num of Items per Fund field, and they seem to match up. (More on that below)

I also added a field that counted distinct MMSIDs and I think you can use that for your Title count.

I verified this worked by finding a POL for something where we’d ordered 3 copies of the same book.

This order had 3 item records and 1 title/bib record, and that shows up in a report using the “Num of Items per Fund” field, along with a field that counts barcodes and a field that counts distinct MMSIDs:

[cid:image004.png at 01D8CF3C.ABBE4330]

To generate a field that counts Barcodes (which you can use as a way of counting the number of physical items) or a field that counts distinct MMSIDs (which you can use as a way of counting the number of titles):

Add the Barcode or MMSID field to your report in the Criteria tab

Click the gear wheel icon on the Barcode or MMSID field and select Edit formula

[cid:image005.png at 01D8CF3F.B9DE9110]

When the Edit Column Formula window pops up, click the button with “f(…)”

[cid:image006.png at 01D8CF3F.B9DE9110]

At the bottom left of the Column Formula box

[cid:image007.png at 01D8CF3F.B9DE9110]

When the Insert Function window pops up, click the Aggregate folder to expand it.

[cid:image008.png at 01D8CF40.51B36EC0]

Then select either Count or CountDistinct
Click the OK button at the bottom right of the Insert Function pop-up window
[cid:image009.png at 01D8CF40.E28233F0]

When you’re done, the Column formula will be either:

COUNT("Physical Item Details"."Barcode")

Or

COUNT(DISTINCT "Bibliographic Details"."MMS Id")

You can then check the Custom Headings box near the top of the pop-up window and put whatever name you want in the Column Heading box

[cid:image010.png at 01D8CF42.2D23ED30]

I learned this from our amazing Chris Muzzin at Seattle Central.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges