[Wactclc-alma] Fraudulent student accounts

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:27:39 PST 2022

I don't have the exact dates, but here's more info from our eLearning Director:

Overview

Over the weekend, eLearning fielded multiple concerns about the number of non-active students in Canvas from faculty. Based on the number of concerns filed, I conducted an extensive amount of research, which lead to finding 133 potentially fraudulent accounts in our system. Currently, there does not seem to be a security risk regarding access to backend data. However, it has been determined that this may be an attempt at getting Financial Aid money. Similar issues have been reported to SBCTC (State Board of Community and Technical Colleges) from other WA colleges.

Patterns Aligned with Accounts

  1.  ctcLink Accounts were manually created.
  2.  Accounts used Outlook or Hotmail email addresses with similar naming structures (use of 8, 33, and other numbers in the middle of the address).
  3.  Winter 22 was the first and only quarter aligned with these accounts.
  4.  Accounts had similar ID numbers based on when they were created (within three days of each other mostly).
  5.  Canvas - Mostly no activity in Canvas, though we did have a few login and complete quizzes; when this happened different students logged in minutes apart and used the same IP address.
  6.  Accounts were enrolled in a similar set of courses.
  7.  Some accounts had the same address.
  8.  No account had a phone number.
  9.  Attempts to apply for Financial Aid were made.
  10. No payment had been made.

How I found the Data (Patterns Started Quickly Emerging)

  *   Ran current enrollment report from ctcLink - filtered by email provider and no phone number.
  *   Looked up every one of those users (113) in Canvas and looked for activity level and IP Address if ever logged in.
  *   Compared and looked up addresses - many were houses on the market.
  *   Discovered patterns listed above.

What Are We Doing About This?

I've taken logistical lead to help the team through this. I am collaborating with Enrollment Deans, Financial Aid, Faculty, ctcLink/data teams, and IT. Here is our plan:

  *   Notified appropriate stakeholders - conducted a meeting to review data and develop a plan.
  *   Immediately suspended suspected accounts in Canvas.
  *   Dropping students for non-payment and non-participation.
  *   Researching Financial Aid implications.
  *   Reported to State Auditor.
  *   Documenting all data connection.