[Wactclc-alma] Reports for individual eResources with license expiration dates

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Apr 7 12:12:39 PDT 2022

In this morning's call, Wade mentioned the idea of using an Alma Analytics report to help keep track of eresources with license expiration dates. I let folks know we had this working at Seattle and I'd be happy to share the reports in our Community WACTCLC folder in Alma Analytics.  Laura Staley asked if I could share this information.

To make this work, we put a Public Note in the portfolio record for any eresource that has a license expiration date.  The Public Note says:

License expires MM/DD/YYYY

Each note has to follow this wording, spacing, and punctuation *EXACTLY* or the Alma Analytics reports we have won’t work.

In this Alma Analytics folder:
/shared/Community/Reports/Consortia/WACTCLC/Seattle

You'll find the following 3 reports:

Expired portfolios to be renewed or deleted
Portfolios expiring in the future
Portfolios expiring in the next 30 days

Here's what one of the reports looks like:

Wade points out that you can set things up in Alma to have these Alma Analytics reports emailed to specific people on a regular daily, weekly, or monthly schedule. The Portfolios expiring in the next 30 days one might be a good one to set up for a monthly email. 😊

For those of you interested in how this works on the back end…

We use a formula that trims the Public Note field down to just the part of the text string that contains the date.

Since I'm a novice at regular expressions, I can't manage to account for all the possible ways that a date might show up at different places within a sentence of variable length. So the note we use always has the first date character show up as the 17th character in the note and the date part of the note always takes up 10 characters.

Once we have the text string containing the date, we convert the data from text format to date format.

Here's the formula:

CAST(EVALUATE('TO_DATE(%1,%2)' AS DATE, SUBSTRING("Portfolio"."Portfolio Public Note" FROM 17 FOR 10),'MM-DD-YYYY') AS DATE)

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges