[Wactclc-alma] RFID question

Sally Sheedy SSheedy at whatcom.edu
Wed May 19 12:28:12 PDT 2021

Do you know if they are going to drop bar codes on the ID cards, or obscure them with the RFID tags?  Surely the people who chose Papercut (the "deciders") must have given thought to other ways in which ID cards are used, aside from printing? Hahaha, as if.

We now have RFID in our library (but not on ID cards). You need an antenna to read the RFID. The self-check kiosk and gates have them, and so do the pads at the circ desk and in tech services. So you definitely need something different than your regular scanners to pick up on RFID.

But barcodes didn't go away -- they are needed on our items and are still put on new ones. The bar codes are the link to Alma. The RFID tags are associated with barcodes, and you connect them one at a time, with the item on the RFID reader pad and the barcode scanner wand at the ready.

(We have some materials (in a closed location) that are not RFID tagged, having only a barcode.

hth
-Sally