[Wactclc-alma] Acquisitions questions for Thursday zoom call

Paula Laine plaine at bellevuecollege.edu
Thu Mar 4 13:51:35 PST 2021

I didn't see these questions in advance of the call, sorry!

At what point in the acquisitions/cataloging process do you tag a title in OCLC for your library holdings?
I don't do it when I export the record for a couple of reasons.
1. The book might not ever come in.
2. You might need a different bib record for the book in hand so the holding is attached to the wrong record.
I run a report in Analytics, showing new physical items, that have a barcode, There is a bit of criteria here, like PO Line Creator = me, and a date range. The report also shows the OCLC number. Export to Excel. These are the books you want to add holdings to. Open a blank text file. Copy / paste the oclc numbers into the text file , I save as OCLC_NO.txt
Then you can do a batch holdings update by OCLC no.

There was some discussion about keeping or deleting FAST subject headings. Do you routinely delete uncontrolled subject headings or foreign language headings? What about fields not listed in the Alma profile, such as 019, 029,  or 938?

I delete a ton of stuff. I put the 019 back in because I thought it might be helpful during the withdrawal process.  I originally deleted everything but 650 _0 but when we started some medical type classes we wanted to retain the 650_2. I grabbed the oclc numbers from the books in the "R" class (Alma analytics), batch searched them in OCLC, and then reimported them to overlay the older records.
 If you change your mind, it can be fixed!

Paula said last week that she leaves unchecked the "assign inventory" box on the PO Line Order page. What is the implication of assigning inventory, or not? (I probably have this somewhere in my jumbled notes ...)

That box is so dumb. ONE TIME I clicked it because I was entering an order where the item was already on the shelf so I didn't want Alma to create another item record, the box did not behave as I expected, and the PO line made me put in a location anyway. Leaving the box unchecked so that Alma creates an item record is a delightfully easy way to not worry about item records.

Do you always package manually, or are there times to choose other packaging options? (Something else for which I may find answers in my notes ...)

Always, always,always unless I have made a terrible mistake somewhere. I have my own system for PO number generation based on the date of the order. In order for me to use my own PO number, I must package manually. I have never regretted it.

The process Paula demonstrated was for physical one-time orders. What are the differences for electronic orders?

It is very much the same for my single title ebook purchases. I bring in the bib records, create the PO lines, and package. There is no receiving for ethings. The bib is connected to the proper collection by the import profile. The tricky part is not to use the order button at the bib level. Select the portfolio and use the order button from there. I made this mistake and learned not to do it again.

Right now I am struggling with the receiving workflow, which seems really cumbersome. Is there a way to streamline the process?
I have a few tricks, but it would be helpful to know what exactly is the cumbersome part. There are ways to narrow down the title list so there is not so much scrolling.

  ** I have an order from Amazon that I am in the process of receiving, and I'm also cataloging each book as I go. Grays Harbor is a Dewey library, and I have to edit the call number and assign a cutter term on the holdings record for each title. AAAHHHHH!
Icky barf. sorry.

   **  Then I still need to set the books for post-receiving processing for spine labels.

I just leave them in cataloging. When the titles are received they automatically get a work order type cataloging and that's enough for people to know they are not on the shelf. When they are completely done we scan them in as "done" which puts them in transit to the circ desk. After the circ desk scans them in again, they are ready to be shelved.