[Wactclc-alma] Britannica Online Activation Woes

Heather Jean Uhl huhl at everettcc.edu
Fri Oct 2 14:40:34 PDT 2020

Hello, dear colleagues.

I'm trying to troubleshoot access to Britannica reference articles showing
up as full-text in Primo / Alma.

This issue first came to my attention back in May 2020 when I hadn't
activated any electronic collections for this service.  However, a "View
It" service appears in records that return in our Search All / Online
Resources scopes.  This links to an admin login for Britannica.  Please see
the example record below.  There are tons of articles that do the same
thing for the same "View record in Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc" service.

nuclear family - Encyclopædia Britannica Online, 2020-07-02
<https://sbctc-everettcc.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01STATEWA_EVERETT/1qv5jiv/cdi_britannica_eb_56440>

I've tried activating what I thought was the correct collection after the
fact, but that didn't help.  None of my changes posted.  There's no unique
identifiers in the example record (MMS ID or Collection ID), so I can't be
sure I've found the right CZ electronic collection for troubleshooting in
Alma.  Furthermore, I'm not sure what to make of the 2020-07-02 date stamp
associated with the "Is part of" info.  None of the CZ collections have
similar update timestamps.

Am I perhaps missing something related to Primo CDI activations that's
outside of Alma configurations?  Also, I've spoken directly with our
Britannica rep and they have nothing to share on their end that might
account for this situation.

I'm sincerely thankful for any insights and guidance!

Heather Jean Uhl, Faculty Librarian (pronouns: she / her)
Library Department Chair 2020-2021
Acquisitions & Cataloging Department Supervisor
Everett Community College - Library Media Center
huhl at everettcc.edu | (425)388-9139

Library Liaison for English, History, Journalism, Communications, Theater
2020-2021 Accessibility Initiatives Co-Lead
Japanese Culture Club Adviser