[Wactclc-alma] Adding new Items

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri May 29 14:02:48 PDT 2020

Elena,

If you're creating a new item record via Resources > Create Inventory > Add Physical Item, then Alma considers this to be "Quick Cataloging" and only gives you 2 options-- Book, or Article.

This is something that we can't configure.

Quick Cataloging is something Ex Libris developed to allow Reserves staff to create brief records without having to go into the MD Editor where (a) they would have been forced to use MARC fields and codes that they probably didn't have any training for and (b) prevent staff without any MARC training from editing and deleting existing MARC records (because originally, delete privileges were bundled together with editing privileges!!!)

Since Quick Cataloging was developed specifically for Reserves use, it only has the 2 Materials Types most common for Reserve materials 7 years ago-- print books and journal articles.

The assumption is that, in the normal course of things, libraries will be creating item records as part of the ordering process, and will set the Material Type for the item record when they create the POL.

If you're creating item records via Quick Cataloging, you'll always have to edit the item record after creation to set the Material Type for something that's not a book.

Hope this helps.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Service Manager