[Wactclc-alma] Finding Open Collections in CDI

Bem, Greg Greg.Bem at lwtech.edu
Fri May 1 12:08:40 PDT 2020

Hey all,

I'm curious how you're considering finding/discovering available open collections when the PCI interface goes away? That convenient filter for selecting "open" doesn't appear to be duplicated in the Alma advanced search interface. I have found one option-using the Free (Service) Equals Free. I have not taken the time to see how well it aligns with the PCI open access collections, but I do see some overlap at least. There are 268 in the community zone. LWTech has 25 active using this parameter but we have 63 open databases active through the PCI, so I am trying to wrap my brain around how to get a more exhaustive list of open collections. I can obviously search for each collection in Alma and see how it is displayed in CDI, but that will take much more time than simply going into PCI as I used to-no time for that at the moment. (Maybe a project this summer.)

I also am wondering about implications for discovery of new open collections in the CDI. Perhaps Ex Libris will do us all a favor by publishing a spreadsheet outside of Alma with these updates since it doesn't seem like the Alma interface (including its search functionality) can give us an update when new open collections become available.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D61FB1.3F54E8D0]

Greg Bem, MLIS
Faculty Library Coordinator
Library Learning Commons