[Wactclc-alma] Regex in Alma Analytics

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Fri Jan 3 11:51:14 PST 2020

I'm trying to figure out how to remove all text, with the exception of a variable string, from the field display in an Analytics report.  I'm hoping you folks have some ideas.

Specifically, in an the Internal Description field for Electronic Collections, I have a sentence that says which library an electronic product is licensed for. Examples include:

Licensed for all 3 colleges.
Licensed for North and Central only.
Licensed for South only.

The sentence I want always begins with "Licensed for" then there's a variable-length text string that always ends with a period, followed by a variable amount of more text.

I want to get rid of any text that appears in front of "Licensed for" and any text that appears after the first period that shows up to the right of "Licensed for"

When I'm done, the field should only contain the sentence "Licensed for ... ."

Does that make sense?

I'm guessing I need to use LOCATE and SUBSTRING commands to do this, but I can't quite figure out how to make this work when the length of the phrase I want to end up with is variable.

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Service Manager
Seattle Colleges
kirsti.thomas at seattlecolleges.edu