[Wactclc-alma] question from Claire at Shoreline

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Feb 6 14:20:59 PST 2020

Confirming what Wade said, Amazon does not (and will probably never) provide EDI invoicing.  I don’t think Amazon really has any concept that libraries are a customer base, let alone a customer base with unique needs.

Like Wade says, EDI isn’t a way to provide payment. It’s a way to transmit purchase orders, invoices, and shipping notices electronically in an standardized format, so the information can be received and interpreted by software on both the buyer’s end and the seller’s end.

The benefit to EDI for libraries is that, instead of having staff manually type information from a paper invoice into the library computer system and/or institutional purchasing system, all the data is right there and you basically just have to click a box to confirm that the price shown on the invoice is the price you’re going to pay.  EDI invoicing is most helpful when you have either lots of invoices, or a big invoice with lots of titles (e.g. annual serials renewals or e-resource packages).

To the best of my knowledge, all the major library book vendors offer EDI invoice delivery, including Coutts, Yankee Book Peddler, Baker & Taylor, and Midwest.  Most of the big e-resource vendors also offer EDI invoice delivery.

The other big acronym that gets thrown around with EDI is EOD, which means “Electronic Order Data.”

When you order from one of the main library vendors, there are 2 different workflows you can follow. Wade described the EDI workflow in his reply.  From personal experience, the EDI workflow can sometimes cause problems when you’re trying to order a paperback instead of a hardback.

The EOD workflow is where you place an order directly in the vendor system, and then import brief bib records with order data into your local library system.

Both EDI and EOD workflows involve work with your vendor to set up.  Once you’ve done the initial set up though, they really do save a lot of staff time.

IMHO, Skagit has a genius workflow set up with their Purchase Requests.

Close to home. George Babcock has started using an Office 365 Form that allows Seattle Central librarians to send in lists of what they want to buy.  Office 365 saves whatever is submitted in an Excel spreadsheet that George can refer to while figuring out where he’s going to order something from.

In general, you want the selectors to give acquisitions staff enough information to find the right copy, and you want your acquisitions staff to deal with figuring out where to get the copy.

For tracking fund balances, take a look at the Funds Burn Down reports in Alma Analytics:
Shared Folders/Alma/Acquisitions/Reports

Chris Muzzin at Seattle Central created a report called Remaining Allocation by Fund.  It has a table that shows the initial allocation and remaining allocation, by fund, for a selected ledger, along with a gauge-style display showing how much of the fund has been spent down.  Here’s an example:

[cid:image002.png at 01D5DCF2.117E64B0]

We have an Alma Desktop widget for this report that allows anyone to add it to their Alma Desktop display.  I don’t know how many librarians are using the report widget.

I’ve saved a copy of this report here in case anyone wants to adapt it for their own use:
/shared/Community/Reports/Consortia/WACTCLC/Seattle/Remaining Allocation by Fund

Because this is an Analytics report, the data will always be one day behind.

In situations where it’s important for people to see the up-to-the-minute fund balances, they’re just going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to check fund balances in Alma.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges