[Wactclc-alma] Correcting Material Type in ALMA

Hirning, Maryanne mhirning at lcc.ctc.edu
Thu Apr 2 14:42:03 PDT 2020

Completely understand! It's nice to have the collective wisdom though as many here know so many shortcuts!

It took me awhile to understand Alma analytics, so I usually run my reports from the main Alma location.

I wanted to find all of the same errors my library has, just like you are working on and here is what works for me. Know that it may not be the best or fastest method!

I select "Physical titles" and advanced search.

I break my search by "location" that way I'm systematically going through each area of my library; so I select: Physical item: current location equals and then select whichever area I'm working on.
That way I can see in the facets what might have problems. For instance, if I selected "dvd" as my location and I see "book" in the material type facet I know where to drill down.

Usually though I just export the whole thing- that way I can look at each column and see any anomalies that need to be fixed.

When I get all the errors out of THAT report, I often toggle the search from "physical titles" to "physical items" and keep everything else the same and rerun. That often results in me finding additional errors.

So much is trial and error and it really is whack a mole! I fix one issue and find ten more!

I hope this helps a little!

Best,
Maryanne