[Wactclc-alma] Strategies for updating Get It tiles to reflect library closures/lack of requesting services

Daniel Moore daniel.moore at email.edcc.edu
Mon Apr 13 12:29:06 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Collective Wisdom brainstorm request!

I'd like to update our Get It tile to better reflect our closed library
policy and to redirect students to digital resources. I'm betting others
would like to do this too, so I wanted to submit this as a topic of
conversation.

There are a few options here, which I'll list in ascending order of
complexity:

*Strategy #1 - *Update nui.request.signin code from default text to
highlight our closed status and the lack of physical circulations

   - Pros - Would be visible to virtually every user, since we have such
   low login counts
   - Cons - has appeared to all users for years, so experienced students
   might be trained to look past it; the rest of the full record will have
   tons of green "Available" text, as well as the loan window for the record,
   so users may see conflicting information

*Strategy #2 - *Update all relevant availability code descriptions to
reflect 'Available but...' aspect of library closure. Maybe something like
"Available - See COVID-19 Procedures"

   - Pros - Would appear on both brief and full records
   - Cons - Uneasy at the thought of multiple available codes to
   change/keep track of; can't link to another resource in an Availability
   code itself, so any references in the code would have to be
   self-descriptive enough

*Strategy #3 *- Add a whole new alert bar a la CSU's code
<https://libguides.colostate.edu/c.php?g=701450&p=6569946> to the Send To
or Get It tiles detailing COVID-19 physical collection procedures

   - Pros - Still only available on full records, but will allow for
   maximum customizing of alert window; could link oodles of other resources
   too
   - Cons - High-touch, and would require redeploying the view. Not an
   issue really but takes a lot longer than the other two ideas

Thoughts?

-Dan