[Wactclc-alma] Alma Analytics circ stats charts comparing Reserves v. Equipment v. "Regular" materials

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Nov 12 12:21:28 PST 2019

Maggie Argiro, Julie Sheppard, Angi Anderson and I worked out an Analytics report that has a bar graph and pie chart showing the annual use stats for different broad categories of materials.  It looks like this:

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

(Maggie has since gone on to do similar reports with bar graphs of circ stats by locations and by first-level LC Classification.  It's pretty cool!)

I've copied one of our reports into /shared/Community/Reports/Consortia/WACTCLC/Seattle/

Report is called: Reserves vs non-reserves vs equipment comparison

Caveat: We use locations *not* Item Policy to manage our Reserves and Equipment collections.  If you don't use locations for your Reserves and Equipment, you'll have to edit our report significantly

Here's a screenshot of our criteria tab:

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

In the Location Name (at time of loan) field, we went into "Edit Formula"

and then selected the "Bins" tab

We added a Bin that filtered the Location Name (at time of loan) for all Reserves locations

We added a second Bin that filtered the Location Name (at time of loan) for all equipment locations

The third Bin is for "All other values"

Here's how that looks:

[cid:image009.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

[cid:image012.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

When we first created the report, the Results tab just had the normal table of numbers.

To make a graph or chart, you need to go to the Views box on the lower left corner of the Results tab and click the icon that looks like a sheet of paper with a plus sign.  You select the type of graph you want (you can change it later)

[cid:image017.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

This opens up the graph in a design view.  We had to drag things around at random until we figured out what worked.

Once you've got something you like, you click "Done" in the upper right corner (underneath the Save and Save As icons)

Then, in the Views box, you have to click on the graph you want to display and click the icon of the Plus sign

[cid:image018.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

If you want to change a graph after the fact, you can click on the pencil icon at the top right of the graph frame in the Compound Layout window

[cid:image019.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

or go to the Views box, click on "Graph" (or Graph: 2, etc.) and then click the pencil icon

To get the percentage numbers to show up on the pie chart, we had to Edit the View, then click the "Edit graph properties" icon

[cid:image026.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

Select the "Titles and Labels" tab

In the Labels section, click Data Markers, and set the following Display Options

Show Data Labels: Always

Display: Default (Value only)

Value: Default (Percentage of total)

[cid:image027.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

If you don't want the original table with your data to show up in the report, just click the icon of the red X at the upper right corner of the "Table" window in Compound Layout

[cid:image028.jpg at 01D59953.AB45EEC0]

Kirsti S. Thomas

Library Technical Service Manager

Seattle Colleges