[Wactclc-alma] [EXT] Re: OER Usage Statistics

Staley, Laura lstaley at rtc.edu
Tue Mar 26 14:14:28 PDT 2019

Tracy, your question made me think of something I'd love to try.

I'd like to work with an instructor to select a good OER book.  Then convince the Administration to pay for enough books to provide textbooks for the whole class. The book records would be edited so we could do stats reports in Alma, and then checked out to students by the library.  At the end we would collect statistics on 1) the number of weeks they were checked out, and 2) compare the pass rate in that class to the pass rate in similar classes where the students provided their own books.  I'm sure there are all kinds of interesting ways to use those stats.

It would be really interesting to do that for an entire program, and see if it enhanced retention rates. Retention is a very big deal for C&TCs.

Laura Staley / RTC