[Wactclc-alma] Collection Analysis

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Thu Jan 17 16:26:05 PST 2019

You can put the number of checkouts as the numerator, and the number of volumes as the denominator.

The result provides a kind of "velocity" measurement for the collection.

Say, for example, you had 200 circulations in a year, for a collection contains 100 volumes.

200 / 100 = 2.

So, on average, every volume was used twice in that year. For a collection 'velocity' of 2.

Or, if you and 50 circs across 100 volumes, every volume is used an average of 0.5 times.

Of course, that velocity measurement might be skewed by a few very popular volumes in a collection of otherwise uninteresting volumes. :)

A more complicated calculation would be to calculate the velocity for each individual volume, and then weight those individual results based on the number of volumes in the analysis.

For example, if the total volume count in the analysis is 100, then each volume is 1% of total, so multiple each individual result by 0.01, and then add them up to get a weighted number for the collection as a whole.

http://www.wactclc.org