[Wactclc-alma] reinstating a periodical for receiving

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Nov 28 17:35:54 PST 2018

North Seattle College just started adding PO Lines to their existing periodicals last week and we ran into more or less the same problem you were having, Cara Beth.

One of the important things we learned when we checked the Alma Online Help page Manually Creating a PO Line:
https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/020Acquisitions/020Purchasing/020Creating_PO_Lines/030Manually_Creating_a_PO_Line

was that we needed to click "Save" instead of "Save and Continue" after creating the POL.  (See the "Assign Inventory Manually" line in one of the tables on the Manually Creating a PO Line help page)

We did *not* enter a location in the POL and we ignored the warning box we got after we clicked "Save" telling us that the POL didn't have a location.

The step of checking the Assign Inventory Manually box on the PO Line Owner and Type screen, as Stephanie mentions in her instructions, was also really important.

After saving the POL without a location, the next step was to do a Repository Search for the periodical title and find the existing holdings record that we wanted to attach the POL to.  We followed the same steps as in Stephanie's instructions-Click the Action button (3 dots) and select the option to Associate a PO Line.

We also ran into a really big problem whenever we had a bib record with only one holdings record attached-clicking on the Holdings link on the display screen opened up a MARC display of the holdings record.  We couldn't find any way at all to get to the Action button/menu when we only had one holdings record. It was maddening.

I filed a case with Ex Libris and almost immediately after I hit "Submit" Casey Chow discovered that if she did an "All Titles" repository search, she could click Holdings and get to a screen that had an Action button.  If she did a "Physical Titles" repository search, then clicking Holdings on something with only one holdings record dumped us straight into the MARC display.

So use an "All Titles" search instead of a "Physical Titles" search when you need to associate a new POL with an existing holdings record.

Yaala at Ex Libris Support told us later that if you do a "Physical Titles" search for something that only has 1 holdings record, you can work your way to the screen you need by clicking the Items link on the display screen, then clicking View All Holdings at the top of the List of Items page.

I've asked Yaala to tell the documentation team that they need to explicitly explain these steps on the Working With Holdings Records help page: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/040Resource_Management/040Metadata_Management/Working_with_Holdings_Records#Working_with_the_List_of_Holdings

Right now they just say "Note: If there is only one holdings record, selecting Holdings after a repository search opens the MARC simple Record View page."
Sigh.

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges