[Wactclc-alma] Registered new user

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed Jan 17 15:31:24 PST 2018

Awesome. Thanks, Steph.

This helps a lot.

This screenshot comes from the "register new user" option under Manage Patron Services. It's a bit different than the 'add user' option under 'Admin / Manage Users'.

And you are absolutely right. The option to assign a user to an existing load process is exactly what you were thinking. As I often discover, my product knowledge has been overtaken by more recent changes to the product.

What's happening here is that if you add a user that you expect to appear in subsequent employee or student loads (ie, someone who has registered or has recently been hired, but isn't in a campus system yet), you can select to have their account made external, and assigned to one of the load jobs.

If you are adding such a user, you should use their EID or SID as their Primary ID in Alma.

You should then select 'yes', it's an institutional record, and select the appropriate (student or employee) load.

So far so good, since I think this is what you are doing.

If you find later that the user group has changed to an incorrect user group by the nightly loads, that can happen for a couple of reasons:

1.       The user is an employee taking classes. So, their record is included in the SMS extract, and their user group gets set to 'student'.

2.       The user is a work-study student. Their record is being extracted by the PPMS extract, and their user group gets set to 'employee'.

Currently, in your environment, the student load happens each morning after the employee load. So, you're more likely to see #1 than #2.

But Kim is reporting #1.

Kim, can you email me offline about what specific user you are referring to, and I can take a look?

In general, if a user record is included in the nightly loads, you can't manually adjust the user group, because the user group will just get reset the next night.

So, I need to take a look at the specific case, and see if I can figure out what's happening. It could be that the student is a work-study student, and so is included in the employee load, but is not showing up in the student load for some reason.

[Title: Big Bend Community College Logo]

Big Bend Community College

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu/>

Big Bend Community College * 7662 Chanute Street NE * Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299

WACTCLC Alma Instance: Alma NA02<http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/>
WACTCLC Primo Instance: Primo NA08<http://status.exlibrisgroup.com/>