[Wactclc-alma] question about deleting vs withdrawing

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Jan 4 19:29:53 PST 2018

To answer your question about the Statistical Note:

The three Statistical Notes fields can either be free-text fields, or they can function as drop-down fields with values pulled from a table. Alma being Alma, the Statistical Notes fields can also function as both at the same time(!).

If you want to have a drop-down option for any of the Statistical Notes fields in the Item Record View, there are 2 things you have to do:

1)      Go into Configuration > Resources > Other Settings and change the statistics_note_controlled field from false to true

2)      Go into Configuration > Resources > General > Statistics note [1, 2, or 3] and create a table.  Whatever you put in the Description field will show up in the drop-down menu for that note in the item record.  Whatever you put in the Code field will show up in Alma Analytics.  Once you create this table, it's important to know that *whatever* you have set as the default value will automatically show up on every single item record you have.  That's why our Statistics 1 table has a default value with the Code: blank and the Description: none.  When we first created the table, we had set the default value to be withdrawn/weeded and that caused all kinds of panic until we realized what was going on and changed the default value.

Once you've created your table, you can manually select a value for Statistics Note X from a drop-down menu in the Item Record View.

If you update Statistics Note X via Change Physical Items under Admin > Manage Jobs and Sets > Run a Job, then the field functions as a free-text field-there's no drop-down of available values to select.  We learned that when you set up the Statistics Note to use pre-set values from a table, Alma Analytics will only display the "Code" from the table, not the "Description."  If you update the Statistics Note in batch via a Job, you have to remember to use the "Code" instead of the "Description." Otherwise the items you updated individually have a different values in the Alma Analytics Statistics Note field than the items updated via batch job.  I don't know if that made any sense.

Going off on a tangent related to my earlier post, I ran across some documentation that Ex Libris has on how to restore deleted records, either individually or in batch.  I'm including links in case they're helpful:

https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/Alma_Online_Help_(English)/Resource_Management/070Advanced_Tools/Restoring_Deleted_Records
https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/Alma_Online_Help_(English)/Administration/070Managing_Jobs/020Running_Manual_Jobs_on_Defined_Sets#Restoring_Records_Removed_or_Changed_by_Jobs

To answer the question about the boxes and arrows on my screenshots:

I do that in Microsoft OneNote-which is IMO a criminally undermarketed part of the MS Office package.  OneNote has a built-in screen clipping tool that gets activated after you open OneNote for the first time.  In Windows 7, I use the windows key+shift+s shortcut to select and clip part of my screen.  The clipping is then automatically dumped into OneNote where I can resize it and add markings to it with the Draw feature. (Note: The clipping and pasting may work differently in Windows 10.)

Once I've added the markings, I select and clip the image a second time to "freeze" the markings in place-otherwise the screen-clipping is one image and the box/arrow is a second image and the box/arrow won't stay in place when I move the screen-clipping around whatever document I put it in.

I hope all of this made sense!

Kirsti