[Wactclc-alma] Employee data imported into ALMA

Nina Pitts NPitts at pencol.edu
Mon Feb 26 14:30:14 PST 2018

Hi, Sally,

At Peninsula, we do not intentionally load employee home addresses or phone numbers in Alma. We don't use personal email addresses, either - we use college-issued email addresses. The way this looks in the User details in Alma is that the person's preferred address is UNAVAILABLE, the phone number field is empty, and the preferred email address is the person's campus email.

That doesn't mean that no personal employee information exists in Alma, though. I checked about a dozen instances, and found several employees for whom we had home info. (About 25% of my tiny sample.) Some of these were students before they became employees, although not all. So, because of the "unavailable" addresses, it could indeed be that HR takes action to code employee records confidential - but if they do, it's an imperfect science. :)  I did notice that several employees, including myself, have our personal cell phone numbers in our records, even though our addresses are "unavailable".

As far as us using personal data (where it does exist), we don't. All notices to employees go through email, or we might call someone's campus extension with additional information (for example, regarding an ILL).

Hope this is useful - let me know if you have any questions!

Nina

Nina Pitts
Library Supervisor
Peninsula College Library/Media Center