[Wactclc-alma] ELUNA Equity in Primo Presentation

Bem, Greg Greg.Bem at lwtech.edu
Mon Feb 26 18:14:37 PST 2018

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to shout-out that my session at ELUNA this year, "Exploring the Potential of Equity in Primo," will be occurring on Fri May 4 2018, 1:30pm-2:15pm, in the Maple Ballroom. I've been thinking a lot about the topic recently, especially in the context of inclusivity in technology and the representation of whiteness in American society, and I look forward to bringing the conversation into an international context at the conference.

The description is below. If you have any thoughts on the issue or would like to contribute ideas or mention issues you've thought about that I could cite in the presentation (anonymously or openly), I would love to bring WACTCLC into the spotlight. Just shoot me an email privately if you have thoughts on this.

Hope to see you all there, or at ELUNA in general!

Session Description

This session describes how Primo, including its search and facet functions, has implications for equity and can support conversations around equity in the contemporary library. The session will be presented using examples from an academic library at a technical college in Washington State (Lake Washington Institute of Technology). However, the ideas explored contain implications for the presence of Primo in all libraries.

The session will be broken down into the following sections: an exploration of search/discovery technology from the angle of equity (with specific focuses on library ILSs and database platforms, as well as popular search engines and folksonomy-enabled platforms including Twitter, Google, and Google Scholar); an exploration of examples of Primo's capacity to support equitable responses to its users and the ability to enable the autonomy of its users; additional factors that contribute to this capacity outside of the platform itself (including collection development, instructional methods, and UX decisions); and a brief look at larger problems of equity in search/discovery technology as they stand today.

Greg Bem, MLIS
Faculty Library Coordinator
Pronouns: he/him/his

Contact Info
greg.bem at lwtech.edu<mailto:greg.bem at lwtech.edu%0d>
425-739-8100 xt.8898
http://www.lwtech.edu/campus-life/library

Library Social Media
Twitter<https://twitter.com/learningcommons> / Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/librarylearningcommons>

Schedule Appointments
Students<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScWBDVBHBUjT_6tmgL332AeHUKJtQeYrNBe4e4HcGpxtFMJYw/viewform> / Professors<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdEuQezrjCia0IXXTFOlwb2U5yp-CJFsw6Wlt7M_79pk3MWaw/viewform>

I am a proud member of AFT Washington Local 3533<http://lwtcft.wa.aft.org/>!

[open house signature]<http://www.lwtech.edu/admissions/open-house/>