[Wactclc-alma] Waive overdue fines once lost

Lesley Caldwell LCaldwell at pierce.ctc.edu
Thu Aug 9 12:12:56 PDT 2018

Thanks for the ideas, Kirsti and Wade!
-Lesley

-----Original Message-----
From: Wactclc-alma <wactclc-alma-bounces at lists.ctc.edu> On Behalf Of Guidry, Wade
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:28 AM
To: WACTCLC Alma Discussion <wactclc-alma at lists.ctc.edu>
Subject: Re: [Wactclc-alma] Waive overdue fines once lost

Not charging overdue fines is easier from an operational standpoint, for sure.

I imagine the problem with dropping overdue fines for some libraries is the reliance of overdue fine revenue for an ongoing budget line item.

I like the approach that I've seen a couple of our institutions take, where they move overdue items to LOST pretty aggressively, particularly for items circulated for a shorter period of time. Used in conjunction with the setting to stop accruing overdue fines for LOST items, you can reduce the overall amount of fines being charged, and instead focus on a LOST-centric loan rules design.

Another thought would be to look at the % of loans that are going overdue, by location or user group., If a large percentage of loans are going overdue, it might be an opportunity to consider longer loan periods. Based on the idea that, unless fines and fees are set quite high, patrons will always treat library loan rules as loan "suggestions". :)

Wade Guidry - wadeg at bigbend.edu
Library Consortium Services Manager
Washington Community & Technical Colleges Library Consortium (WACTCLC)