[Wactclc-alma] Interesting issue with "duplicate" method of serials check-in

Dale Burke dburke at email.edcc.edu
Mon Sep 25 10:35:42 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Once we went live with Alma in the summer of 2016 we set up serials records
for all of our print titles that we check-in, following Justine's
directions for the easy method of check-in using the "duplicate"
functionality of Alma.

We waited a whole year before starting to run circulation statistics, and
we are getting very good circulation statistics; however, with our
periodicals that we checked in using the "duplicate" functionality we are
finding that all of these items have a blank (nothing) "Item Policy".in the
record.

George and I did some testing this morning and found that each title that
we checked-in using the "duplicate" function did not receive an "Item
Policy".

We also set up a new serial record for check-in purposes the way Justine
said to and we cannot see any option for including an "Item Policy" on the
order screen.

We are trying to find out whether we missed a step somewhere or whether the
"duplicate" functionality means that you also have to go back to edit the
item record to add an "Item Policy".

We are wondering if we can create a set of all of the periodical items that
are missing an "Item Policy" and then run a job to add one to the records.

As I stated earlier this came to light because our Circulation Statistics
by Format showed numerous records with a category of "None".

Has anyone else who uses the "duplicate" functionality of serials check-in
experienced the same thing?

Thanks!

Dale Burke
Technical Services Librarian