[Wactclc-alma] Ebook collections in the CZ

Whittaker, Shellie ShellieW at bigbend.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:49:24 PDT 2017

At today's Leads meeting I found myself sort of defending the use of ebook collections in the Community Zone, but the conversation made me realize I might be drawing some errant conclusions.

I wonder if someone would correct me, or enlighten me, about the accuracy/reliability of the results found using the Community Zone Updates Task List.

Here I illustrate my findings as I worked to determine how many and how often EBSCOhost Academic eBook Collection (North America) portfolios are being added/deleted in Alma's Community Zone.

It appears that during the period 1/1/2017 - 10/24/2017 22,883 portfolios have been added, with the most recent additions occurring on 8/7.  3,686 have been deleted, with the most recent deletions occurring on 10/23.

Are these counts misleading?

If they are accurate, maybe there are other factors involved in the choice to manage this collection locally.  While a three-month wait for additions to the collection seems a little bit long (last one was 8/7), it doesn't seem horrible and the collection is being maintained on a regular basis.  And deletions seem to be happening more often than additions.   I wonder if the latency for added portfolios comes from Ebsco's schedule for updating their collection or the schedule they use to make that information available to Alma.

What factors are considered when making a choice between using Community Zone collections or creating local collections?

Screenshots from Highline's Alma:

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D34CCE.E5EC5100]

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D34CCE.E5EC5100]

[Title: Big Bend Community College Logo]

Shellie Whittaker
WACTC Library Consortium Services Coordinator
Big Bend Community College
shelliew at bigbend.edu<mailto:shelliew at bigbend.edu>

360.452.5264

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu/>

Big Bend Community College * 7662 Chanute Street NE * Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299