[Wactclc-alma] Analytics R & D for a Friday afternoon - AVG and MEDIAN publication date by LC / Dewey Classification

Paula Laine plaine at bellevuecollege.edu
Fri Dec 15 15:46:34 PST 2017

I compared the 3 pub dates the bib data and I would suggest looking at the start date (Date 1). For the majority of the records it should work.
I did a query for all 3 dates for books in the stacks. Begin Pub date, end pub date, publication date.
Compare the data from all three. Many of my records do not have a date 2 and as you mentioned the publication date has lots of extra stuff in it.

[cid:image004.png at 01D375BB.DED48480]

I checked a couple of bib records when the "end date" date 2 is newer than the "begin date" date 1. My data looks like the begin date would be the best. Looking at the OCLC cataloging guidelines date 2 was sometimes used for copyright date or other things.