[Wactclc-alma] Publishing to OCLC

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed Dec 6 11:45:52 PST 2017

Publishing to OCLC is used to synchronize institutional holdings in WorldCat with holdings changes in Alma.

The first step is to set up a WorldCat data sync collection in OCLC WorldShare Collection Manager:

https://help.oclc.org/Metadata_Services/WorldShare_Collection_Manager/Choose_your_Collection_Manager_workflow/Data_sync_collections/Reference/Create_a_WorldCat_data_sync_collection

You can then use the Publishing to OCLC jobs to publish Alma changes to your WorldCat symbol using that data sync collection.

I don't think anyone has gone through this process yet, at least not in Alma. (It's possible that some of you may have been doing batch jobs with OCLC from Voyager.)

However, if you set your institution symbol on title records in WorldCat when you download them from Connexion, then you are already taking care of half the synchronization process.

And you can also just use the "batch" options in Connexion, to set or unset holdings in WorldCat based on OCLC numbers (numbers that you can export out of Alma, based on recently added or withdrawn titles).

So, I actually think that, for the volume that CTC institutions might do, using Connexion batch tools is easier to understand and control, than using automated data synchronization jobs.

Big Bend Community College
wadeg at bigbend.edu
509.760.4474
www.bigbend.edu
Big Bend Community College * 7662 Chanute Street NE * Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299

WACTCLC Alma Instance: Alma NA02
WACTCLC Primo Instance: Primo NA08