[Wactclc-alma] Follow-up from Monday's meeting at Bellevue College

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Wed Nov 9 13:40:03 PST 2016

Yes, this is pretty much the answer.

Activating in Alma

Activating collections (or individual portfolios) in Alma indicates that you have access to the collection and/or portfolio.

Activating collections/portfolios in Alma also allows the collections/portfolios to be searched *at the title level* in Primo.

Activating in Primo

Activating collections in the Primo PCI allows those collections to also  be full-text searchable in Primo (where article level metadata exists), and will provide article level search results for those journal titles you own. And also for journal titles you don’t own or have access to, if the user selects “expand my search results”.

Ebsco

Because Ebsco does not share its article-level metadata with Ex Libris, there is no way to activate Ebco collections directly within the PCI. So, two options exist:

Using the Ebsco API as a search scope in Primo

This option is problematic, in that it results in a somewhat “uncontrolled” search, where search terms are sent from Primo to Ebsco, and Ebsco sends back search results, that are not really well-curated or formatted for use in Primo.

The Ebsco API is, however, one workaround you can use with Primo. I don’t recommend using it, as it doesn’t provide a strong user experience. But SPSCC, for example, is using the Ebsco API, and is happy with it so far.

Using “alternative coverage” in the PCI for Ebsco

Another way to provide article level search results in Primo is to use the “alternative coverage” technique. In this method, you activate “ebsco equivalent” collections in the PCI. That is, collections that closely mimic, alone or in combination, the holdings of an Ebsco collection.

When those equivalent collections are activated, and users search Primo, Primo matches the article level results from the equivalent collections in the PCI with your actual Ebsco holdings as reflected in Alma, and directs users to the associated content in Ebsco.

This method is not without issues. Particularly where the range of holdings in the equivalent collection may not match what is actually available in Ebsco.

But, with alternative coverage, at least all data being searched is curated and formatted for Primo use. And is also local to Primo and Ex Libris.

The ExL document describing the appropriate alternate coverages for various Ebsco collections, and also a bit of overview about using alternate coverages, can be found at:

https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/@api/deki/files/45896/Primo_Central_Index_Collection_List_%E2%80%93_Alternative_Coverage_%5BSept_2016%5D.pdf