[LIBRARYDIR] Collections and cataloging practices for indegenous materials

Dawn Marie Lowe-Wincentsen dawn.lowe.win at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:32:27 PST 2024

Hello All,
We are doing a bit of research on how other colleges are:
1. Using LC subject headings for their materials about indigenous groups.
And if you are using something else and/ or the indigenous group names, do
you have a guide, crosswalk, or other documentation that you could share?
2. What are you doing with Dewey classifications/ numbers for these same
materials?
The context here is that the campus first nations student association
contacted the library and asked for a list of books to be added to the
collection. We said yes, bought the books, and now want to be
representative in subject headings and making them discoverable in the
collection. We have also reached out to the faculty advisor, and our Tech
services lead has been doing his own research.
Thoughts, best practices, and what you are doing in these areas are
welcome.
Thank you

*Dawn Lowe-Wincentsen, MLIS*
Executive Director of Learning Resources

Dlowe-wincentsen at shoreline.edu
*Shoreline Community College*
www.shoreline.edu  |  206.546.4101