[LIBRARYDIR] public notice wording

Jacquelyn Ray jacquelyn.ray at wwcc.edu
Wed Apr 10 12:34:19 PDT 2024

Hi Muggs~

     To offer a little bit of hope, at my last college (in another state) we did a book sale couple with a craft sale/bake sale with contributions from both college staff and a couple local folks who paid a small booth fee/donation.  It was a lot of work but also  actually pretty awesome.  We used the funds to create a scholarship.

Anyhoo, I am not a lawyer but I think you have

You've highlighted the exact spot:

 In reference to the RCW unless a school district has requested this type of notice, you do NOT have to notify them.

 shall, prior to other disposal thereof, serve notice in writing in a newspaper of general circulation in the school district and to any public school district or private school in Washington state annually requesting such a notice,

I honestly would doubt if they have but maybe asking your Foundation?

If not, I was suggest perhaps the following statement for your ad:

Notice: Skagit College Library has deaccessioned a small collection of print material.  Per RCW 28A.335.180,  all public and private K-12 school districts in Skagit and Island counties have first right to free access these materials within 30 days of this published notice.  School districts are responsible for contacting (xxxxxx) and arranging pickup.  A public sale will be held with any remaining materials following this 30 day notification period.

All my best,
Jacquelyn

​Jacquelyn Ray, MLIS, MA | Director of Library Services & FYE | she/her
Walla Walla Community College
Need help evenings or weekends? Try our 24/7 Ask-a-Librarian Chat Service!<https://askwa.libanswers.com/widget_chat.php?hash=d266f8c192e1c15230f3b8f764dcead2>

    Hope, as an ontological need, demands an anchoring in practice.
We need critical hope the way a fish needs unpolluted water.
(Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of Hope)