[LIBRARYDIR] book sale

Margret Mills Margret.Mills at skagit.edu
Mon Apr 1 13:22:54 PDT 2024

Hello,

We are going to have a relatively small book sale - mainly donated items and discarded fiction paperbacks.  Most items were not purchased with college funds.  I found an email from 2015 that laws and policies that stated we have to publish a notice in the school district newspaper letting public schools in the district know we are selling such.

I am wondering if anybody has had a sale in the past couple years and if so, is there some boilerplate language regarding the notice that needs to be placed.    (It is a pain to have to do this, when really no other library is going to be interested in this stuff...)
But, we will do what we must.

Thanks!

Margret Mills (Muggs)
Department Chair, Library
Skagit Valley College

PS:  This is language from the 2015 email.

Most importantly, there is a  less well-known law in the K-12 code that picks up the higher education institutions as "other state agencies concerned with education."  It requires certain procedures take place prior to disposing of books or other materials. It says, in pertinent part,

RCW 28A.335.180.  (1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, school districts, educational service districts, or any other state or local governmental agency concerned with education, when declaring texts and other books, equipment, materials or relocatable facilities as surplus, shall, prior to other disposal thereof, serve notice in writing in a newspaper of general circulation in the school district and to any public school district or private school in Washington state annually requesting such a notice, that the same is available for sale, rent, or lease to public school districts or approved private schools, at depreciated cost or fair market value, whichever is greater . . .  .  Such districts or agencies shall not otherwise sell, rent or lease such surplus property to any person, firm, organization, or nongovernmental agency for at least thirty days following publication of notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the school district.