[LIBRARYDIR] Question regarding fines/fees

Jacquelyn Ray jacquelyn.ray at wwcc.edu
Thu Nov 2 12:43:08 PDT 2023

Hi all~

  I know this is a question that has come up before, but I wanted to reach out to you all again regarding your fines/fees policies.   Put on your legalese and policy hats!

Our Business office reached out to various departments regarding our return and fees policies and our process to "make sure we get items back and if not are we supposed to charge them a fee?"

If I remember correctly, all of us our doing something a little different.   But I think in general most of us do not charge fines but do charge or seek replacement for the lost item.

 And in re-reading through the RCW<https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28B.10.293> on collection and  WACs<https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=174-168&full=true> on Library circulation and library fines<https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=478-168-380> there seems to be both a specific charging of fines, the ability to appeal, but also permission to charge fees (if we wish).

This is complicated by another question I have, all of our "library" laptops were purchased by another department on campus (note they were not formally donated to the library)  and are in a sense owned by SGA, Running Start, and our Transitional Studies program each of whom have slightly different procedures.

 The library stores and circulates these but the fact that the library did not purchase these and of that each of their departments has their own circulation requirements (which the library manages)  I technically I hesitate to call these library resources.

Last but not least, this question seems to center around student borrowers, do your rules, fines, etc. vary for faculty or other borrowers?

All my best,
Jacquelyn

​Jacquelyn Ray, MLIS, MA | Director of Library Services & FYE | she/her
Walla Walla Community College
Need help evenings or weekends? Try our 24/7 Ask-a-Librarian Chat Service!<https://askwa.libanswers.com/widget_chat.php?hash=d266f8c192e1c15230f3b8f764dcead2>

“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” ~Dalai Lama