[LIBRARYDIR] Library Furniture

Dawn Marie Lowe-Wincentsen dawn.lowe.win at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 13:54:15 PDT 2023

Hi all,
at a past organization we did whiteboard surveys and vision board voting
for students to vote on what types of furniture they wanted. Then we took
that to three different companies to get quotes and interior decorator
advice. It was a very interesting experience. - total cost around 20k in
2018.
Also at that organization our special collections flooded and we had to
redo it. As it was dealing with insurance, I worked with college risk
management, and the insurance company to find flooring and shelving that
might withstand future flooding. I worked with the student workers to
select materials that they liked. In the end though it was just me and the
insurance people. reopened in 2019. $30,000 in repairs.
At another organization (closer to the size of UW than to Shoreline) we had
a grant to renovate the main undergraduate study area, reference,
computers, coffee shop, etc. We started by sending a group of people around
to various similarly sized libraries and took pictures of their newish
interiors. Then we shared with a student advisory group. Then I left the
organization - 2008, the grant was 200,000 I think.

*Dawn Lowe-Wincentsen, MLIS*
Executive Director of Learning Resources

Dlowe-wincentsen at shoreline.edu

*Shoreline Community College*
www.shoreline.edu  |  206.546.4101

Pronouns: she, her, hers