[Factc] NOTICE: Student-Facing Legacy Transcript Application Decision

SBCTC-IT Mail itmail at sbctc.edu
Mon Sep 18 15:06:58 PDT 2023

SBCTC-ITD MEMORANDUM
Date:                September 18, 2023
From:               Grant Rodeheaver
Subject:           Student-Facing Legacy Transcript Application Decision
Dear college community:
I hope this message finds you well. When we first developed the Legacy Transcript application back in 2019, we aimed to provide a self-service environment where former, non-ctcLink students could access their unofficial transcripts with ease.
However, as the digital landscape evolved, so did the security threats. The need to secure our app with multi-factor authentication (MFA) added new layers of complexity. A couple of these technical challenges include:

  *   The necessity to set up Okta multi-factor authentication; a challenge considering not all colleges have fully implemented Okta yet.
  *   Additional technical complexities which need to be addressed.
In light of these challenges, we've decided to limit access to the Legacy Transcript application to college staff only. This means access will be restricted to a specific range of known IP addresses, making the application invisible to the public. This step is crucial in reducing exposure to sensitive data like Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and protecting it from potential threats.
We understand this may create an additional burden on both former students and college staff. Before the new Legacy Transcript application was launched, colleges had been handling the need for unofficial transcripts in various ways. Only a few colleges were still using the now-deactivated HP-UX Student Kiosk.
We encourage each college to find a model that works best for them. This could include online forms and Legacy student-ID lookup tools that expedite requests. Here are a few examples you might find helpful:

  *   Bellevue College<https://forms.bellevuecollege.edu/studentcentral/request-unofficial-transcripts-enrollment-prior-to-fall-quarter-2015/?_gl=1*u7kxoy*_ga*MTkzNDY1MTkyMC4xNjk0NTQ3MjA5*_ga_D205WT30XL*MTY5NDU0NzIwOS4xLjEuMTY5NDU0NzIzMy4zNi4wLjA>
  *   Clover Park Technical College<https://www.cptc.edu/enrollment-services/transcripts>
  *   Everett Community College<https://www.everettcc.edu/enrollment/transcripts/requesting-transcript-evcc>
  *   Green River College<https://www.greenriver.edu/otr/transcripts/>
  *   South Puget Sound Community College<https://spscc.edu/services-support/transcripts>
  *   Tacoma Community College<https://www.tacomacc.edu/academics-programs/academic-support/enrollmentservices/studentrecords/transcript-request>
  *   Whatcom Community College<https://www.whatcom.edu/current-students/entry-enrollment-services/transcript-requests>

Additional information for college staff
Please remember the HP-UX Student Kiosk for unofficial transcripts was disabled on Aug. 31, 2023. Be sure to update any local processes and remove links from your college's Transcript web pages to avoid error messages for former students.
The Legacy Transcript<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/it-support/legacy-applications/legacy-transcript-project/> application is designed to deliver historical student information not converted into ctcLink during the colleges' migration to PeopleSoft. If any Legacy transcripts require significant updates (like degree information or bio/demo changes), staff users will need to import the transcript into ctcLink and make changes there.
You can find instructions for the Manual Conversion of Legacy Records at the ctcLink Reference Center and additional resources and FAQs on the Legacy Transcript web page.

  *   Manual Conversion of Legacy Records instructions<https://ctclinkreferencecenter.ctclink.us/m/79558/l/1526930-manual-conversion-of-legacy-records>
  *   Legacy Transcript<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/it-support/legacy-applications/legacy-transcript-project/>.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or Ray Gartner<mailto:rgartner at sbctc.edu>. We're here to help.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Best regards,
-Grant

[Compass]Grant Rodeheaver
Deputy Executive Director / CIO, IT Division
grodeheaver at sbctc.edu<mailto:grodeheaver at sbctc.edu> * o: 360-704-3939  * c: 360-280-4733

Please DO NOT REPLY to SBCTC-IT Mail regarding this e-mail.  SBCTC-IT Mail is an unmonitored mailbox, and your message will not be received.

Message Received Only Once When Sent to Multiple Mail Lists: A message sent to multiple lists is received only once by members using Microsoft Exchange Server and MS-Outlook. For example, if a systemwide message is sent to 30 lists, and you are a member of 10 of those lists, you will receive the message only once rather than 10 times.