[Factc] Dr. Ebony McGee: Black, Brown, Bruised: How Racialized STEM Education Stifles Innovation

Jennifer Whetham jwhetham at sbctc.edu
Tue Oct 6 09:40:00 PDT 2020

My dear friends and colleagues:

I know many folks in our system attended the Gutman Library Book Talk featuring the brilliant Dr. Ebony McGee titled Black, Brown, Bruised: How Racialized STEM Education Stifles Innovation<https://www.hepg.org/hep-home/books/black,-brown,-bruised>.
I attended too, and her presentation was FANTASTIC.

I walked around thinking about what I learned from Dr. McGee all day yesterday.
I ordered her book right away.

I hope you listen to her talk, possibly order her book ...

Do you want to watch (or re-watch?) her webinar?

  *
Here is a link to the closed-captioned recording of the event: https://bit.ly/Gutman-Fall202<https://bit.ly/Gutman-Fall2020>
  *   Dr. McGee's slides will be posted by the end of the week to her website: https://blackengineeringphd.org/

Do you want to read her book?

  *   You can save 40% on the paper edition.
  *   Mention promo code BBBV20 on orders placed via hepg.org or call 888-437-1437.
  *   This offer expires October 12, 2020.

I know at least one of our colleges is organizing some professional development around this important book. If you attended (or watch) the webinar, I'd love to hear your thoughts about how we might build with Dr. McGee's scholarship in our system.

Peace,

Jen

PS-- I'm sending so much love to all of you this morning. I've been in that "I hit the sixth month wall" place these days, and Dr. McGee's voice, words, wisdom, and expertise gave me a new sense of energy and optimism and urgency around the SBCTC vision to lead with racial equity. Hearing the truth so powerfully expressed will do that!

[Title: SBCTC logo - Description: Compass]

Jennifer Whetham (pronouns: she/her/hers)

Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)

jwhetham at sbctc.edu<mailto:jwhetham at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4354 • c: 206-310-1291

Join a STEM Community of Practice<https://bit.ly/2PHRW7z>

Antiracist Writing Assessment Ecology Grant: Read More<https://bit.ly/2CcZoo0>

SBCTC Vision: “Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”