[Factc] FACTC Update Spring

Taylor, Terry ttaylor at shoreline.edu
Mon Mar 23 20:38:19 PDT 2020

Hi FACTC colleagues,

I hope this finds everyone safe and socially distanced.  A few announcements, and I'll start with the good news.

On March 5 (seems ages ago) I met in Olympia with Carli Schiffner, Kristi Wellington-Baker and Jen Whetham, about the role of FACTC and working with the state board staff.   The meeting went really well and I am very optimistic for the future of FACTC.  Kristi will be using FACTC for a state-wide advisory group regarding issues  related to Guided Pathways.  To best fulfill this role we need to demonstrate our effectiveness as a state wide group and be sure that we have members representing all corners of the state.

While it will not happen quickly, Carli suggested that we could begin the process of formalizing our relation to the state board this year.  This was just before we had any sense of the massive disruption that we are now experiencing.  (In fact Carli had to leave for an emergency meeting to deal with the first impacts of this crisis.)   I suspect it will be the better part of next year which I still consider good news.

Another change I hope you have noticed is that Carli is now sending me all the system announcements for the boards, commissions, and other groups and I have been sending to the FACTC list for the last two weeks.  I hope you have found these helpful, especially for the circumstances we find ourselves in now.  This again is a way as a FACTC rep you can share important information as it is being communicated to the other parts of the system.

I'm sure you can all guess the bad news.  We won't be having a physical meeting for Spring quarter.  Since the ATL conference has been cancelled it obviously makes no sense for us to try to meet.   It is also likely that the governor's restrictions on meetings will continue into May.   I can't say that I have a clear idea of how we will do it yet but I'm hoping we can arrange a few short Zoom sessions in place of our meeting.  I assume that is preferable to a 4 hour online meeting (who would do such a thing?).

I have a planning meeting with Kristi on April 16 where I hope we can find a way to have a virtual Guided Pathways presentation that we were planning for the Spring meeting.  I'd also like to have a separate session to just share how our campuses are faring at that point in the quarter.

Our bylaws call for annual officer elections at our last meeting of the academic year.  We will need to figure out a way to do that.

Finally, we should discuss the Fall meeting.  Because of the number of new FACTC representatives, I think we should consider having our Fall retreat. Hopefully, it will be safe by then to do this. We were supposed to have one last Fall but I begged off since it was my first quarter as president.

This has all been rattling around inside my head for the past few weeks but I have been so overwhelmed with the more immediate things that I'm sure we are all trying to deal with.  As I tell my students, this is truly historical and you won't ever forget this quarter.

Again, I hope you are all safe and well.  If you have any ideas please let me know.  I'm hoping after the mid-April meeting that we can identify a clear date for our online meeting and then schedule the others accordingly.

Thanks,
Terry

Terry L. Taylor
President of FACTC<http://factc.org/wp/>, 2019-

Assistant Dean, The Honors College
Professor of History, Political Science, and International Studies

Shoreline Community College

5343 FOSS
16101 Greenwood Ave. North

Shoreline, WA 98133 USA